[Resolved] How to speed up this simple page?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to speed up this simple page?

Home Forums Support How to speed up this simple page?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael

I’ve got a slow-loading page, which is scoring 57 on the Lighthouse performance test.

I’m using the latest theme and plugin, and also GenerateBlocks and the site is based on the Landing site demo. Lazy loading classes are loading, yet the page is obviously loading slower than it should and it looks like it’s the images that are loading in slowly. I am using Autoptimize and W3 Total Cache and the host provides CDN.

It’s a simple enough page in terms of elements – any pointers as to how to speed this up?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I ran the page through GTMetrix and this is the biggest issue they suggested to fix:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/1gfwDQ1J5U

Michael

Thanks Leo – that GTMetrix report is super helpful being more specific and easy-to-understand than the Lighthouse reports.

I was assuming I might have done something wrong within the site template or with GenerateBlocks, but on looking more closely at the code it looks like I’m probably just using WP Blocks badly… I’ll see if I can figure it out (as it’s not anything GP related).

many thanks

Michael

I’ve worked out what I was doing wrong. I was assuming that the WordPress Block editor and css styles would handle the image sizes for me.

Here’s what I think fixed it. Here’s what I need. When three images are side-by-side they really only need to be at most 400 pixels wide, but when the template changes for mobile (at <1025px), the column becomes 66% which is about 586 pixels wide.

So in the WordPress Image Block, I needed to choose an image size which suits this. The default image settings weren’t sufficient, but this helped: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/recommended-wordpress-image-sizes/.

thanks for help.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.