[Resolved] Recommended WordPress Image Sizes

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Recommended WordPress Image Sizes

Home Forums Support Recommended WordPress Image Sizes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave

Hello,

Three-part question – thank you!

My current blog has WordPress Media Settings that specify 150px for small images, 580px for media, and 1024 for large. As I work to integrate GeneratePress, what do you think I should update these to, if anything?

Related, any general recommendations for post editing image size – if I insert images beyond the featured, should I insert medium or large? I think the content body is a percent and not a fixed width, so maybe that complicates it?

Lastly, I notice the feature image is loaded full size vs large. I think that will end up biting me in the butt given large images on server. Is that a correct analysis? If so, is there a way to specify ‘large’ image size for featured image vs full/original upload?

Thank you again!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

images sizes are really dependent on your layout.
    For example if have a page that uses a full width hero but has a page container size of 1200px then i may go for:

Full size: 1920px x 1080px
    Large size: 1200px – considers a full width page
    Medium size: 760px – considers page with 30% sidebar and gutter spacing plus its suits tablets.
    Small size: 320px – supports 2 / 3 / 4 column image layouts and mobile portrait
    Thumb: 150px – may tweak but this is square cropped image.

You can register new sizes eg small – Tom provides the snippet here:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/custom-crop-for-blog-index-featured-images/#post-357876

WP uses srcset so if it can use a smaller image then the one you selected it will use that instead. This doesn’t apply with background images like the ones used in Header Elements

You can also adjust the images sizes used for featured images in the Customizer > Layout > Blog > Featured Images, there are settings for Archive and Single Post. But it is better to designt the layout and upload the correct size images to suit.

Dave

I have 10 years of uploaded images I won’t be resizing. 🙂 I know I can regenerate the different named sizes, but don’t think I can do source and wouldn’t want too. But guidance in the named sizes in relation to standard presentation and the featured image adjustments I think have me covered, thanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Wow thats a lot of images to get through. Best of luck 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.