[Resolved] How to show published and updated dates

Home Forums Support How to show published and updated dates

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    culpable

Also Tom unrelated to the above point (but related to this thread)—the filter does not seem to work when using this page hero example from the documentation https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/#example-2

Disabled it works. Enabled it does not work.

I’m guessing it has something to do with {{post_date}}?

Is there an easy way to fix this? 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

For the post meta time strings you could try something like this:

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output', function( $output, $time_string ) {
        $time_string = '<time class="entry-date published" datetime="%1$s" itemprop="datePublished">%2$s</time>';

// Check modified date is newer thant published

$updated_time = get_the_modified_time( 'U' );
        $published_time = get_the_time( 'U' ) + 86400;

// If modified date exists then ouput both time strings with modified date

if ( $updated_time > $published_time ) {
            $time_string = '
            <time class="entry-date published" datetime="%3$s" itemprop="datePublished">%4$s</time>
            <time class="entry-date updated-date" datetime="%3$s" itemprop="dateModified">%4$s</time>';
        }

$time_string = sprintf( $time_string,
            esc_attr( get_the_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_date() ),
            esc_attr( get_the_modified_date( 'c' ) ),
            esc_html( get_the_modified_date() )
        );

return sprintf( '<span class="posted-on">%s</span> ',
            $time_string
        );
    }, 10, 2 );

You can then create a shortcode to use that same function in the Header Element:

add_shortcode( 'hero_date','db_modified_time_stamp' );

Then add [hero_date] to your element

It will need some CSS to hide the published time tag.

culpable

Hey David,

Thank you for helping me with this.

I added your code below as a code snippet (I’ll refer to this as the mod=pub snippet).

add_filter( 'generate_post_date_output', function( $output, $time_string ) {
        $time_string = '<time class="entry-date published" datetime="%1$s" itemprop="datePublished">%2$s</time>';

// Check modified date is newer than published

// If modified date exists then output both time strings with modified date

$time_string = '
            <time class="entry-date published" datetime="%3$s" itemprop="datePublished">%4$s</time>
            <time class="entry-date updated-date" datetime="%3$s" itemprop="dateModified">%4$s</time>';
        }

);

$time_string
        );
    }, 10, 2 );

I tried adding add_shortcode( 'hero_date','db_modified_time_stamp' ); underneath the code snippet above.

As well as adding it in its own code snippet (default settings).

In both cases, adding `[hero_date]’ to this heading https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/#example-2 did not execute the shortcode.

(the output was [hero_date]).

Shortcodes are definitely executing in this header, as [page_hero_gravatar] is working.

I tried setting mod=pub snippet to priority 8, and the hero_date shortcode snippet to priority 9, but to no avail.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your instructions.

Also if this is useful: when I keep the existing header exactly as https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/#example-2, no changes are made to the schema of the post

(both modified and published exist. And they do not equal each other. I assume this is probably because {{post_date}} is not being affected by the filter created above)

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

The [hero_date] shortcode won’t work if there’s no db_modified_time_stamp function to run.

That said, you can try adding this along with the add_shortcode( 'hero_date','db_modified_time_stamp' ); so that the add_shortcode() has a db_modified_time_stamp function to run.

function db_modified_time_stamp( $output, $time_string ) {

// Check modified date is newer thant published

// If modified date exists then ouput both time strings with modified date

$time_string = '
        }

);

$time_string
        );
    }

Alternatively, I believe you can just make the {{post_date}} display the modified date by using Tom’s snippet here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/correct-way-to-show-only-modified-date-on-page-hero/#post-1344687

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

culpable

The [hero_date] shortcode won’t work if there’s no db_modified_time_stamp function to run.

That makes sense!

I initially assumed David had made a typo and tried the function add_shortcode( 'hero_date','generate_post_date_output' ); (as generate_post_date_output was the function he was playing with), but that didn’t work.

So I assumed db_modified_time_stamp was baked into the theme.

Sorry, I should have checked this.

Your db_modified_time_stamp worked when I inserted it into https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/#example-2, thank you Elvin.

I am still encountering an issue:

1/ As I am now using {{post_date}} in the header, the date information is still appearing within the .inside-article. How would I remove this from the source code (not just the CSS)?

Thank you for your help Elvin, Dave, and Tom 🙏️

culpable

Ah, I just realized this can be turned off in Customize > Blog > Blog Content

Everything is now working as intended.

Thank you Elvin and David for providing me with the exact code and steps to execute this correctly.

GP Support is second-to-none 😄️

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Good find. Nice one. 🙂

No problem. Glad to be of any help. 😀

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.