How to restore GP Premium settings?

Home Forums Support How to restore GP Premium settings?

Home Forums Support How to restore GP Premium settings?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Martin

Hi Tom
    Unfortunately I pressed the first of the tree buttons at the bottom of GeneratePress AddOn configuration page. I thought it is a bad german translation for “Backup Settings”, but it wasn’t (by the way: it is a bad translation for what it does!)

Two questions:
    – How can I backup GP Premium customizer settings?
    – How can I restore GP Premium customizer settings?

In earlier versions of GP Premium there was a “Backup Settings” Button, wasn’t it?

Many thanks
    Martin

PS: I have a backup of the WordPress Plugin folder..

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Wow, I am so sorry about that. Would you be willing to provide me with the correct translation so we can avoid this in the future?

In the latest version of GP Premium, there’s a popup confirmation you have to bypass in order to delete your settings. This was added to avoid this exact issue.

Unfortunately, once those settings are deleted, they’re gone. Do you have any exported settings at all? Maybe a backed up database? Does your hosting do any database backups?

The Import/Export add-on allows you to export your settings if it’s activated.

Is the warning message above the delete buttons translated incorrectly as well? In English, it says:

Warning: Clicking this button will delete your settings set in the Customizer area.

You may want to export your settings before deleting them forever.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help at all.

Sorry for the inconvenience 🙁

Martin

Hi Tom
    I see the problem. In my test installation the Import/Export Add-On was not activated. So I could not see the the 3 blue export buttons!
    But I have a general question: In order to save/restore ALL Customizer settings I have to export all 3 .json files and then later import all 3 .json files?

German Translation: Currently it’s mix of german and english (text and buttons!). But I think also the english text is a little bit confusing.

e.g. “Warning: Clicking this button will delete your settings set in the Customizer area”
    But actually you have 3 buttons! So I would write something like “Warning: Clicking one of the 3 buttons will irrevocably reset the corresponding Customizer area settings to their default values”

e.g “You may want to export your settings before deleting them forever”. I would add “This requires the activated “Import/Export” Add-on”

Concerning my lost settings: I think the quickest way to get my lost settings back is to reconfigure them. There is a database backup but I can imagine it’s complex to restore the database entries.

Many thanks
    Martin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, the text saying “Clicking this button..” is for the free theme, which only includes the one delete button. When you add add-ons, they each have their own button, which makes that message no longer relevant.

I’ll change it to be a little more clear in the next version.

That’s correct, at this time, you need to export and import all of the separate files.

Sorry again for the inconvenience!

Martin

Hi Tom

Translating wordpress plugins seems to be a difficult task, yes :-))

Please have look at the 3 attached screenshots of my German wordpress Installation with all Add-ons activated (version 1.2.5)
    It is a mix of German/English buttons and explanations. And the lettering/wording in the buttons is not very consequent.
    And the wording of the Export and Delete buttons should match the translations in the Customizer area, right?

Not an easy task, really!

If you want I could try to help you with some translations. But we would have to find a way how to do that. I guess you already have *translators* for different languages..

One more question to you:
    In the first answer to my question you write “In the latest version of GP Premium, there’s a popup confirmation you have to bypass in order to delete your settings…“
    I didn’t see any such popup. Is this in the next 1.2.6 version?

Kind regards
    Martin

PS: I din’t find a way to attach secreenshots – so: no screenshots, sorry

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Martin,

Definitely a tough task, especially when you only speak English 😉

The confirmation popups were added in GP Premium 1.2.4 (http://generatepress.com/gp-premium-1-2-4-released/).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.