[Resolved] How can i create a fixed Header and top Menu in the Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How can i create a fixed Header and top Menu in the Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support How can i create a fixed Header and top Menu in the Generate Press Theme

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Simon,

Your site looks great!

Are you wanting a space to always be present below the header, even when scrolling down?

If so, I don’t think that’s do-able. Right now, your header is fixed to the top, and all of the below content will move behind it – regardless of spacing.

While it may be possible, it would involve some funky HTML/CSS hacking, and probably isn’t worth it.

Let me know if that makes any sense πŸ™‚

Simon Reed

Hi Tom

So, so sorry not to have thanked you for your reply. I’ve only just seen it and never got an email notification (that I just assumed – wrongly obviously – I would get), or at least I don’t remember seeing one.

Thanks anyway for coming back to me, I appreciate it and what you say makes sense. Thanks also for the nice comment about my site. I appreciate that too!!

Simon

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Simon,

No worries! πŸ™‚

theonetruevlad

That’s great, however, how can I get my ‘back to top’ anchor to work?
    If I ID the first line of the content it sits behind the fixed header, which technically accurate, putting the content at the top of the page.
    I tried sticking the id in the before header hook but again, still hides the top of the content behind the top of the heading.

For Simon’s header content separator request, could you not cheat and add a border/padding or something under the menu that is the same size and colour as the original separation? Surely that is straight forward code?

Alexey

Hi!

I’m using GP Hooks and plugin Simple Custom CSS
    Gould you check my website? It’s not working.
    http://www.vipdeposits.ru

I add <div class=”custom-fixed-header”> to the Before Header
    add </div> in After Header

add to Simple Custom CSS
    .custom-fixed-header {
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    width: 100%;
    z-index: 2000;
    }

.container {
    padding-top: 120px;
    }

Alexey

works OK in Chrome, not in Internet Explorer

Alexey

and one more quastion πŸ™‚
    How to fix only menu not a Header?

BWT i checked these in Safari – not working too

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This thread should help: http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/keep-menus-visable-with-scroll/#post-54453

It should work in all browsers except for old versions of IE.

Szilard Venczel

Hi Tom,

First of all I’m very satisfied with the GP theme it’s very easy to customize for the different needs. I usually also find solution to my problems in the forum.

I managed to make the header fix based on the description above using simple custom CSS. My only problem is that it looks a bit weird on smartphone size displays. Is there a way to set the header fixed only for certain resolutions or so?

Thank You!

regards,

Szilu

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Absolutely, placing the CSS inside the below will make sure it’s only read on larger screens – mobile or small browsers will ignore the CSS:

@media screen and (min-width: 769px) {
          /* CSS in here is ignored on mobile */
    }
    Szilard Venczel

Thank You! IT works as it should.

regards,

Szilu

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help πŸ™‚

Szilard Venczel

Tom,
    One more thing regarding header setup. I figured, that when I set top:0; The admin bar covers the top of the header. Is there a way to trigger a different class for logged on user only? I tried to add .logged-in .custom-fixed-header{...} but it didn’t work.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Actually, WordPress adds a class to the <body> element when the admin bar is present, so you can do this:

.admin-bar .custom-fixed-header {...}

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

Dee Broughton

Simon –
    If I understand you correctly, I add a border-bottom to the header to give it that look on my mobile menus. I believe theonetruevlad was making the same suggestion.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.