[Resolved] guide to new template, sidebar, widgets?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] guide to new template, sidebar, widgets?

Home Forums Support guide to new template, sidebar, widgets?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don

Hi Tom,

I’m using a child theme of generatepress. Am also making new page templates with widgets.

I haven’t found a comprehensive how-to for adding a new page template, updating it with sidebars and widgets, registering sidebar and widgets, etc.

Is there one?

What I see looks proprietary without the how to guide.

I have GP Premium.

Many thanks,
    Don

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not sure if there’s one specific guide, but there’s tons of information on all of that separately if you Google it.

Create a page template simple means copying an existing template in GP (page.php) for example, and uploading it to your child theme, then changing the file name and adding the page template header: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/template-files-section/page-template-files/page-templates/

What are you doing that requires a custom page template?

Don

Hi Tom,

Wow! Fast support, thank you. I want the flexibility to add new page layouts, sidebar and widgets to new page layouts.

My earlier post was specific to generatepress. I’ve worked many wordpress sites,

A basic need is to add a new widget area? I’ve googled for this and haven’t found it.

When I add a new widget area I want to populate it and include in the page layout.

Many thanks!

Don

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Page templates shouldn’t actually be necessary to do that.

You can adjust the sidebar layout like this: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/choosing-sidebar-layouts/

And a plugin like this is great for displaying and not displaying widgets on certain pages: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/display-widgets/

Don

Hi Tom,

I am looking at my Appearance -> Widgets and I see :

Right Sidebar
    Left Sidebar
    Header
    Footer Widget 1 through 5
    Arbitrary – used for widget short code

My question is, do you plan for folks to use your container add-ons to store content, or do you expect folks to also add new widgets? both?

If you expect folks to add new widgets please provide a sample to use with a child theme.

Many thanks!

Don

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Don,

I’m not too sure what you mean?

Those are widget areas, which you can place whichever available widgets into.

There’s no widgets in the add-ons at all – so by default you should only have the core WP widgets (Text, Archives etc..).

Some plugins add new widgets, but GP just supplies the areas which you can add widgets to.

Don

Hi Tom,

Thank you, yes this answers my question.

Best,
    Don

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.