[Resolved] GP 3.0 IPad Sidebar Width

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP 3.0 IPad Sidebar Width

Home Forums Support GP 3.0 IPad Sidebar Width

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    hari

Hi Tom,

I have a 3 Column Design on my Website with two small Sidebar Columns left and right and a wide Content Column in den middle.

Half an hour ago, I upgraded to GP 3.0 via the WordPress Mechanism.

The PC Layout is unchanged and fine.
    The Mobile Layout (on a iPhone for example) ist unchanged without sidebars and fine.

BUT …..

The iPad Layout (with a high Resolution Screen) was up to v2.9 exactly as the PC Version – 2 small Sidebars and one wider in den middle.

NOW, I have 3 Columns IDENTICAL in width, which makes no sense and introduced a sort of “third” responive layout.

What might have caused this and how can I change it to the original status?

Thanks, Michael

hari

One Addition:

I checked in the Settings. The width of the sidebars ist still set to 15% in the “Spacing” addon of GP Pro.

On a PC, it is still displayed correctly but since GP 1.3.0 NOT on an Ipad Air any more.

?

hari

Another Observation, the problem is more serious.

The PC Layout is affected too. I use the “Mingle Forum” which is displayed in the middle content column.

The Layout of the columns of the mingle forum is now affected in the same way as the iPad Version:

All Columns which had different widths before are now OF THE SAME WIDTH!

Even worse, some Buttons are not reachable any more. It is not possible any more, to start new threads as the button is gone/corrupted.

Is there a way to temporary downgrade to 1.2.9 again? The disruption of the forum is a serious problem to me,

hari

Update: I did a rollback via FTP an have overwritten 1.3.0 on the Server to 1.2.9

Within Minutes I had several bug reports of forum members.

I will wait until you can resolve the issue. Obviously some general parameter has changed, that affects column widths – not only in the Theme, but in other addons like “Mingle Forum” too!

Bob

Sorry , I missed this but I am also having this issue with iPad portrait view and the right sidebar – it used to go below the main container but now doesn’t – and reported it in another thread. Looking forward to the solution!

Best,

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sorry about this guys.

1.3.0 features a tablet layout, which I thought would allow sidebars to be a bit larger, and not drop down like they do on mobile. This may be a mistake that I revert in the future.

For now, you can do this:

add_filter( 'generate_right_sidebar_tablet_width','generate_right_sidebar_custom_width' );
    function generate_right_sidebar_custom_width()
    {
    	return '100';
    }

add_filter( 'generate_left_sidebar_tablet_width','generate_left_sidebar_custom_width' );
    function generate_left_sidebar_custom_width()
    {
    	return '100';
    }

Then add this CSS:

@media (min-width: 768px) and (max-width: 1024px) {
          .separate-containers .site-main {
                margin-left: 0 !important;
                margin-right: 0 !important;
          }
    }

That will drop the sidebars down to where they were in old version on tablet view.

hari

Tom,

thanks for your respone. No apolgies needed, shit happens sometime in programming. ๐Ÿ˜‰

What counts is your support and that is good!

But I am still a bit confused and just want to ensure, that I understand you correctly.

Question:

(1) Are above issues fixed with 1.3.03?

(2) Or are we still needed to implement above code and wait for a future release?

If (2) is true i would stay on 2.9.8 until a final solution as one of my rules for minimizing sideeffects is: no user changes on the css!

Thanks Michael

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. They aren’t – I’ll have to look into some different styles for tablet mode. I may end up going back to putting the sidebars below the content, especially when both sidebars are enabled.

You’ll want to implement the code I gave you above – good news is that it will make it act exactly as it did in old versions, no matter what GP version you’re using.

Let me know if you have any questions ๐Ÿ™‚

hari

Then please tell me in which file this code should go exactly.

And isnt this code overwritten with the next update again? I guess I would need to implement it for every further update?

Please Keep in mind, that my major problem is not the place of the sidebars on mobile, but the crumbled table format of mingle Forum within the (middle) content container.

To be precise, have both Problems the same cause and are not fixed in 1.3.0.3 or are the tables within the middle column fixed and it is just the mobile layout that needs above code?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you add the code using these instructions, you won’t have to do it ever again, even with future updates.

Adding PHP: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-php-functions/
    Adding CSS: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-css/

Do you maybe have a screenshot of what happened to your tables in your forum? Was it only crumbled because the area was so small due to having both sidebars on either side?

hari

Thanks.

As far as the Forum is concerned, I cant any more, as I reverted to 1.2.9.8.

And as I have hundreds of paying customers in the forum at any time, I cant “just try”, because it would cause immediate error reports to me. I guess I need to setup a second test Installation.

Anyhow, I believe my Problem is similar to what was reported
    -> here <-

The Forum has columns for every post, typically author, Status, text, date and so on. The columns where broken and did not show side by side anymore – similar to the reports in above thread.

An no, it had nothing to do with the column width or with mobile view, the Problem existed on PC Browsers too.

So I guess this problem was unrelated to the sidebar width problem and *is* fixed with 1.3.0.3 right?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Totally understand.

That forum post was regarding image gallery columns I believe, which wouldn’t have anything to do with your forum tables.

That being said, if the middle content container because too squished by the sidebars, it could definitely affect the columsn in the forum. If that was the case, the code I gave you above should fix it.

Was this issue only on tablets, or was it on desktop as well?

hari

Ok, I added the answer to my post above – too late. Sorry.

The answer is: No, it had nothing to do with mobile view or with too large sidebars.

It existed on the normal PC view via PC browser. The middle column had ist original length, but the “tables” or “Columns” of the Forum view were broken and even some Buttons (like creating a new thread) where unaccessible. So the Forum was completly broken and my Mailbox filled immediately with error reports from users.

After I reverted to 1.2.9., everything is fine again.

If you cant answer from this Explanation, I guess I need to update my test Installation again and try there and send you an Image later.

But maybe you already know from the Explanation what might cause this.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, I would have to see it unfortunately – do you have a test server you could throw the forum plugin onto with the latest version of GP? It should be a relatively simple fix whatever it is.

hari

Will do, come back to you later today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.