[Resolved] gp 2.3 alpha.3 – consider using passive listeners

Home Forums Support [Resolved] gp 2.3 alpha.3 – consider using passive listeners

Home Forums Support gp 2.3 alpha.3 – consider using passive listeners

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Enrico

Hi Tom,

I find out that the Best Practices problem “consider using passive listeners” is not fixed for page with comments.

In page with comments active I get this:

Does not use passive listeners to improve scrolling performance
    Consider marking your touch and wheel event listeners as passive to improve your page’s scroll performance.
    js/comment-reply.min.js?ver=5.2.1

I tested alpha.3 on a page where comments was disable and was ok, now I tested it on a page with comments active and there the problem is not fixed yet.

To see the issue, it is not necessary to have comments in the page, is enough to have comments active.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

That’s a core WordPress file, so they would need to fix that in an actual WordPress update.

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Enrico

You are right, this problem exist also with GP 2.2 and with other themes.

It is only the new empty comment field that create it, the existing comments are not part of the problem. I was mislead by this.

Do you know if WordPress is working on it and is going to fix this? I didn’t find any information on this issue.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not aware of a ticket for it. Might be worth opening a ticket if one doesn’t exist already: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/

Enrico

I tested the “beta” of WordPress 5.2.2 and 5.3, the problem is not fixed yet.

So I opened this ticket

Thanks a lot
    Enrico

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

93487u5tr938ouh4trnos8fyoh

There is no contributor that could help this.

They are postponing that ticket in WordPress twice, is there a way somebody could take a look and help as I am not a developer.

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47510/

Enrico

One developmer has already proposed a fix but must be tested.

They say there is some sort of an action needed and there is no one to do that action so this is the reason why it is postponed again. What is that action and can somebody help?

Enrico

they need to test it, as I told. You should write in the ticket I have open on WordPress.

Hi,

I am not a developer, but from what I can read, the solution that was provided was not enough, they needed someone to fix something in the solution as the tests were showing the solution is not resolving the issue. Then the patch for the solution was not enough again, so they needed a patch for the patch for the solution. Which is why this wasn’t in the WP 5.3 or the WP 5.3.1 release. Now someone else says there needs to be done even more work. This is not just testing, this is work on the solution in itself as far as I can understand from the comments there.

Check the comments, I don’t think they need just a tester.

It’s a shame this stays there from 9 months and from what I see the number of their tickets is growing faster than the resolved once. I really do think WP is in a bad shape right now and if I can project the development of it, everything is far too late when you compare it to Wix, Squarespace, Shopify and Web.com.

@Enrico, it has keywords “has patch”, “needs refresh”. I think they also need some sort of a change due to IE11 compatibility as far as I understand? Can you help in that regard as it looks more than just testing it?

Grant

I found this as well and it doesn’t look like it will be fixed in WP Core anytime soon. I have found the following code that I have implemented and it seems to be working fine and gets rid of the recommendation in PageSpeed Insights / Lighthouse etc: Stackoverflow fix

Cheers!

@Grant, thanks very much. Is this fix on Stackoverflow something that breaks the IE11 compatibility and is that the reason why they refuse to implement it?

Grant

No idea, try IE11 on your site and see?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.