[Resolved] Global colors and fonts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Global colors and fonts

Home Forums Support Global colors and fonts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Hashim

Hi there,

I’m still new to GeneratePress and have purchased GeneratePress Pro and installed GenerateBlocks (and will purchase GenerateBlokcs Pro when it will be released).

While working on my first website, I couldn’t find any way to set global settings for things like colors, fonts, etc. But maybe I’m missing something. (I watched too many Astra, Kadence and Elementor videos but eventually chose GeneratePress and found myself looking for global settings.)

So my question is…

Is it possible to set global settings in GeneratePress?

I’m looking forward to your reply. Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Hashim

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

global colors and typography are set in the Customizer.
    Make sure you have those modules enabled in Appearance > GeneratePress.

Colors:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/colors-overview/
    Typography:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/typography-overview/

Hashim

Thank you, David!

I was already aware of these options and I’m very happy with them. What I actually meant was something like a color palette so that I can choose from a preset of colors for whatever it is that I’m working on.

Now, when I’m working on a block in the Gutenberg editor and I want to change a color, I see twelve colors I can choose from. But how can I replace those 12 colors with colors that I’m using regularly?

The same goes for fonts. I know I can set fonts in the Customizer for different parts of the website. But when I’m adding a Header block in the Gutenberg editor, I’d like to be able to choose from a preset of fonts that I’m using regularly instead of looking up that font in the list that shows all fonts.

I don’t think it’s possible right now to do that with fonts. Do you think something like that will be available in a future release?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Hashim

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We’re working on a global color palette option for GP and GB. However, these will use CSS variables which aren’t supported in IE (not sure if that’s important to you or not).

You can change the current color palette in the editor, but those colors are still static, so you’d need to manually update all instances of them if you change them later. This is where CSS variables are pretty cool.

It’s possible to set the block defaults to your GP colors as well, which is worth looking at. For example: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/button-block-not-inheriting-generatepress-button-style/

These usability things are next on our list for the theme and plugin πŸ™‚

Hashim

Hi Tom,

That’s amazing news!

So do you have a rough estimate for when this feature might be released? I’m very much looking forward to this one. πŸ™‚

Sincerely,

Hashim

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We’re going to get in done in Q1 of 2021 πŸ™‚

Gerard

Hi Tom!

I’m also really looking forward to this!

As a request for this new feature you are working on, please add with it some filter that we can use to set that global color palette from code, the same way as we have the generate_default_color_palettes filter for the GP’s customizer color picker.

Thanks Tom!

Rachel

Oh, yes. Please let it work with the normal Gutenberg one, too.

Gerard

Tom! Are there any news on this? =)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s in development πŸ™‚

Brent Wilson

I’m really looking forward to this! I want to be able to set colour palette and typography in one place and have those show up in GeneratePress settings and GenerateBlocks. And even better if they can be dynamically set up so that if I later change a colour in the colour palette, it will automatically change all the places where that colour was used on the site (and similarly with typography).

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Brent,

I’ve raised the issue here.(as log from your topic) πŸ™‚
    https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/issues/156

Would be great if we could get people to comment +1 on the raised issue so it gets high on Tom’s priority list. πŸ˜€

Hashim

Hi there,

This is something I’d like to share for whoever is planning to add this feature…

The Kadence theme has added integration between its Customizer and Elementor. Kadence does this by adding another panel below the Elementor color panel. The Theme Global Colors are synced with the Customizer so you can change them in Elementor and the change is reflected in the Customizer and vis-a-versa. When you use the Theme Global Color palette, the colors are also linked, so when they are changed, all places they are used are also changed.

Is this something that GeneratePress will aso be able to offer?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you in advance!

Gerard

Hi Hashim,

I don’t think so. Before Elementor 3.0 it was possible to programmatically change the Elementor color palette, but after the introduction of global colors, there is no official way to get to do it again.

Even plugins such as Central Color Palette had to abandon Elementor after this change.

Since GeneratePress doesn’t always go together with Elementor, I doubt that they would add this type of feature in order to keep a code minimal.

I’m interested in how did they do that in the Kadence theme. Does it really work with Elementor 3.0 or did it stop working since that version?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks Gerard

Hi Hashim,

Gerard makes some very valid points – and it is for those very reasons we would not add functionality like that to the Customizer for a specific plugin integration. Ultimately it means we have to maintain a code base for another plugin that will require maintenance and updates even if the function stops working.

We of course will look at whatever possible to make our code as open to others as possible. So it may be possible to pass variables to another API using a PHP snippet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.