[Resolved] global automatic updates for better security

Home Forums Support [Resolved] global automatic updates for better security

Home Forums Support global automatic updates for better security

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark

I have recently read that our FBI has stated
    “If you run a self-hosted WordPress website undesirables (name who shall not be mentioned – pm me for my source) types could exploit via un updated plugins”.

should I set all updates to automatic?

What’s the best method?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Mark,

It’s always a good idea to update your themes, plugins and WordPress installation regularly.

Failing to do so can definitely leave holes open for hackers.

This is especially true for core WordPress updates – it’s a popular system, and people are constantly trying to exploit it.

Luckily, WordPress has an extremely active community who are constantly improving it and fixing any security issues, so if you keep things updated and have decent hosting (GoDaddy shared hosting is always getting hacked in my experience), you should be fine!

Let me know if you have any other questions πŸ™‚

Mark

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to set updates to fully automatic for everything?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not yet I’m afraid.

The “technology” is still quite new as WordPress only just introduced the feature for core updates.

I’m sure themes and plugins will start to implement them sometime soon – although it can also be risky because theme and plugin updates can sometimes cause problems, and it sucks to find your website crashed in the morning and finding out it’s been down all night as you were sleeping.

When things like the above get solved, we’ll start seeing it a lot more πŸ™‚

Mark

Would it be more prudent to run with no plugins.

Or use more CSS

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you can use CSS or functions instead of a plugin then definitely, but I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Just be sure to install plugins that are updated often and have good reviews/reputable developers πŸ™‚

Mark

Tom,

Thanks for the answers.

I will continue to update regularly

Mark

resolved

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.