[Resolved] Get rid of the category link on the category archive page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Get rid of the category link on the category archive page

Home Forums Support Get rid of the category link on the category archive page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Pete

Why bother having a link to the category when i’m already on the category’s archive page.. it only links to the same page you’re on.. is this not good for SEO?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Do you mean the category link within the post?

Interesting point – it wouldn’t do anything to the SEO of the page, but might be something to look into regardless.

Pete

Yep, i’d love to see a dedicated archive.php (and includes) so it’s easier to edit the archive page without also editing other templates.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There is an archive.php file – do you mean a category.php file?

Either way, you can create one in your child theme and make edits to it freely πŸ™‚

Pete

I’d like to see a content type just for the cats…

get_template_part( 'content-category', get_post_format() );

Pete

I suppose I could just make my own πŸ™‚ I’m a bit old fashoned when it comes to templates, I really like not having any includes and having/being able to edit author.php, category.php with all their own codes (no common includes), etc πŸ™‚

Pete

I’d like to see at least all of these without them having any common includes so they’re all self contained as such …
    home.php
    page.php
    singular.php
    category.php
    tag.php
    taxonomy.php
    author.php
    date.php
    archive.php
    search.php
    404.php
    attachment.php
    single-attachment.php
    single.php
    index.php

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That would add a lot of complexity to GP though. Currently, GP is super lightweight and simple, meaning not a whole lot can go wrong.

If each post type/taxonomy had its own template, there’s a lot more room for error.

The way it’s set up now, one template serves them all. This makes the theme lighter, but still allows the end-user to add their own templates to further customize.

Pete

Not each taxonomy, just one taxonomy.php but all self contained without any includes. the whole if/then conditional is confusing for me as it requires more detective work to find the file and then the whole if/then thing melts my brain. If i had taxonomy.php, tag.php and category.php that would make MY life easier to reverse engineer.

As it is now archive.php holds all these templates with a complex if/then structure.

Pete

The old original studiopress themes had these files and it was much easier to just look at one file and see where everything was in the one file, nowadays themes contain a multitude of includes that we have to follow the trail to find each file that impacts on the parent file… am i making sense? πŸ™‚

Pete

I agree it would be (a little) more work for you but essentially the files would be 99% the same except for a few specific template tags.

Pete

In other words each template file has it’s own self contained loop without any common includes

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I gotcha πŸ™‚

Let me know look into this and see what I can do.

Pete

Awesome, thanks. Maybe a child theme with all of the template files, would that work???

Pete

RE my original point and your “Do you mean the category link within the post?” Sorry no, I mean the cat link on the archive.php page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.