[Resolved] forms, tables — & beginner manual?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] forms, tables — & beginner manual?

Home Forums Support forms, tables — & beginner manual?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Caomhán

You probably didn’t expect someone with as little experience as me to show up…

I picked the Generate press theme (& got the add ons) because of the way it showed up when I looked at themes after installing WordPress. It showed it could handle forms with text entry areas & tables. I took screen shots of the sections I was trying to emulate, but don’t see how to attach them here. So you’ll have to look at the samples of themes at the WP site to see what I mean.

So I’m up on the generate press site, looking at the knowledge base for something like ‘making forms’ or ‘creating tables’ or a “How do I ___” section and don’t see one.

I want to make forms for people to sign up to get member newsletters / action alerts, etc. & for people to use as a way to contact the site editors.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

To include a contact form within the site, you’ll need to use a contact plugin. I suggest this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-forms/

To include a newsletter form, you’ll need to sign up to a newsletter service like MailChimp, Aweber etc.. They’ll provide a HTML snippet which you can then add into your website using widgets or hooks.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Caomhán

Good suggestions —
    seems what I thought would be a moderate learning curve — like finding the menus that had the forms on it and the one with tables (because I assumed everything I saw was included) — is really going to be a mountain and take much longer than expected — by weeks not hours.

Know a basics book — not for web e-commerce though how to accept donations would be nice– that would cover what’s needed besides a theme and the word press framework installed?

I’ll want to be able to enlist members with contact info, have newsletter mailing lists, a blog with comments & forum for topic areas like your support form, but limited to certain topics.

Dimensionality.net is the top level umbrella organization for Legalize Human (advocacy and education), TransResources — resource site that collects links and docs useful for transgender people, an arts & culture group — whether visual (including photos, very short videos — a song or a reading of poetry or short short story, or audio file of a reading), writing, performance, etc — a message board or forum for the members & participants to talk to each other — and my own blog – With Wings Dancing.

So I’d have sub-sets of pages for these groups — all of which have their own domain/url address.
    The top level is for people who want to be involved in more than one, or who want to volunteer in admin / editor / content roles — and as a place for intersectionality topics.

With those things as goals, can you suggest a book that will give me most of the “how to” information without confusing me with stuff I don’t need (like e-commerce). This is turning out to be a mountainous learning curve!
    Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There’s definitely a learning curve when it comes to building your own website.

I don’t really have any specific book suggestions, but if you Google WordPress tutorials and how-to’s specific to what you’re trying to do, you’ll find tons of info.

Let me know if you have any specific questions 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.