[Resolved] Footer Widget Spacing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Footer Widget Spacing

Home Forums Support Footer Widget Spacing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

Given the issues I’ve been having over the last few days I’ve been playing around with formatting my site layout in an effort to have it transition better between various device resolutions.

I was previously using the default GP 40px left/right spacing for widgets and content etc. Today Io reduced the content margin down to 35px likewise with the sidebar widgets but when I went to do the same thing with the footer widgets to make them match I see its setting is 0. This 0 matches the original position of the content / sidebar with a margin of 40px which seems a bit weird. I expected to see 40 not 0.

I tried to enter a negative (in this case a -5) into the setting field but it acts like a positive number increasing the margin not reducing it. I could use CSS but interested to know why this is the way it is.

So my questions are, why are the content / sidebar widgets margins different from the footer widget margin number to position wise?
    Is it not possible to use a negative figure?
    Can you not code the footer margins to act like the others do position too pixel wise for some reason?

I assume there’s a reason for this difference?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Garth,

Currently, there’s spacing options for the entire footer widget area (box that holds all of the widgets), and the footer area (box with the copyright).

There aren’t any settings for the individual widgets.

It looks like those just have some CSS:

.inside-footer-widgets .inner-padding {
        padding: 0 40px;
    }

I did this as there’s no way to change the color of the individual footer widgets either – they just sit in the footer widget area.

I can see the benefit of adding an option to deal with the above CSS though – I’ll mark that down as a future feature.

Hopefully that’s what you meant.

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom,

Yeah, that looks right and gives good control over footer widgets spacing. It would be a useful feature addition.

PS: the GP updates released earlier today moved things around a bit within customise but for the better I think. The groupings seems to feel right and reasonably straight forward to navigate.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Lots moved around, hopefully for the better (I think so).

You can get the full list of changes here: https://generatepress.com/gp-premium-1-2-87/

Andy

I would also like to see an option to adjust the footer widgets inner-padding. But generally liking the new customizer layout, keep up the great work.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely a feature that’s on the way.

Glad you like it!

Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

Do you have a GP version number the footer widget padding feature will be released in ?

Also wondering when theme v1.3.35 will be released ?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not sure on either yet – 1.3.35 won’t be for a little bit unless a decent bug is found.

1.2.89 might be sooner, so I’ll try to sneak it in there.

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

Is it okay for me to use the test version of the generatepress theme you sent me ?

Was it just changed grid wise for the 1025px bug I pointed out ?

Will it upgrade like normal to v1.3.35 when that version is released ?

Keen to see/use the footer padding feature when its released.

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re completely safe to use the version I sent you – it will update when the time comes ๐Ÿ™‚

Andrew

Hey Tom,

Hope you’re well mate.

I’m also trying to adjust my footer widgets so that they have less spacing between them.

You provided some code to assist with this problem:

.inside-footer-widgets .inner-padding {
    padding: 0 40px;
    }

Where do I insert this?

Cheers,

Andrew

Stacey Usborne
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Andrew,

This article may be helpful: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-css/

Garth Dryland

Hi @Andrew

If you want there’s another option to reduce the padding area in the footer even further by using the pre release dev version v1.3.35 found on GitHub as it has been altered to improve this area even further.

An example of how it looks can be found here.

If you’re not sure how to compile and install it you could just wait for the community v1.3.35 to be released.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.