[Support request] favicon not showing in search results

Home Forums Support [Support request] favicon not showing in search results

Home Forums Support favicon not showing in search results

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gene

Hi All.
    Can anyone help me? My favicon isn’t showing up in mobile search results. I’ve added the favicon in the customiser. It appears in the browser window, just not search results – do I need to add it somewhere else as well? (I’m using SEO Press Pro if this is relevant).
    Thanks
    Gene

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

sometimes it requires a re-index of your home page and a few day wait for Google to update the logo.

Not sure on whether Organizational schema effects the search results icon – but it may be worth checking in your SEO plugin that it has a valid image for the logo.

Gene

Thanks for your response David. The Organisational schema logo is the full logo, not the favicon. I will wait a few days to whether anything changes.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem – hope Google catches up soon 🙂

Gene

Hi David. I found this note on one of the forums, presumably this is controlled by the Theme? Assuming this to be the case, is this something GeneratePress does as standard when the favicon is setup, or is additional work required?

Define a favicon to show in search results
    If your site has a favicon, it can be included in Google Search results for your site:

Search result on mobile showing a favicon

Implementation
    Here is how to make your site eligible for a favicon in search results:

Create a favicon that follows the guidelines below.
    Add a <link> tag to the header of your home page with the following syntax:

<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”/path/to/favicon.ico”>
    rel
    Can be any of the following strings:
    “shortcut icon”
    “icon”
    “apple-touch-icon”
    “apple-touch-icon-precomposed”
    href
    The URL of the favicon. Can be a relative path (/smile.ico) or absolute path (https://example.com/smile.ico), but must be in the same domain as the home page.
    Google will look for and update your favicon whenever it crawls your home page. If you make changes to your favicon and want to inform Google about the changes, you can request indexing of your site’s homepage. Updates can take a few days or longer to appear in search results.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Your site has those links:

<link rel="icon" href="https://www.el...........nce.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/cropped-Artboard-5-100-1-32x32.jpg" sizes="32x32">

<link rel="icon" href="https://www.el...........nce.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/cropped-Artboard-5-100-1-192x192.jpg" sizes="192x192">

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="www.el...........nce.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/cropped-Artboard-5-100-1-180x180.jpg">

If you right click inspect the site, expand the <head> element you will see them just before the closing </head> tag.

So google should find them

Gene

Hi David.
    I’ve been reviewing my sites, all but one of which have been built using the GeneratePress theme. The only site where the favicon appears is in the site where I used the Hello theme… This is intended as a constructive comment… Could there be an issue with GeneratePress/Elementor in this respect?
    Regards
    Gene

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmmm… looking closer at your site i can also see a lot of icon links.
    GP uses the default WP function of adding the 3 x icons. Whereas your site has two of each of them ( 6 in total ) and this shortcut link.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/wp-content/uploads/fbrfg/favicon.ico">

So something is creating more links than is necessary which may be the issue. But i didn’t think Elementor had a favicon option… are you using any plugins or custom functions ?

Overall – the most effective method of getting favicons to display is to remove all the links and place a .ico file in the root directory of the site.

Gene

Hi David.
    Thanks for your feedback. I always add the favicon through the Customiser, not through any other plugin. Elementor doesn’t have favicon option. The only conceivable culprit would be SEO Press, but I’m pretty sure this doesn’t add a favicon either. Besides, I’ve also used the SEO Press plugin on the website with the Hello theme.
    Presumably, with the solution you are suggesting, I would deselect the favicon option in the Customiser, and create a file called favicon.ico? This export format doesn’t exist in Adobe Illustrator, would I simply rename the jpg file, or is there a site that converts this file?
    Regards
    Gene

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes you can remove them from the Customizer – and then upload an .ico.
    Not sure but Photoshop used to have have Export to Microsoft Windows Icon which is a .ico
    Or if you have a google there are plenty of png to ico convertors available.

John

I just added it myself following this:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-add-a-favicon/
    I added a Site Icon at 512 x 512 and straight away is showed up on my desktop
    However on mobile it is not showing up yet.
    I am using GeneratePress Pro, Elementor and Rank Math for SEO

This is my website
    https://earnfromyourlaptop.com
    What do I need to do?

John

I read this on RankMath support
    https://support.rankmath.com/ticket/my-favicon-is-not-showing-is-google-mobile-search-results/

I am running latest WordPress version 5.5
    This also referred to WordPress
    https://wordpress.org/support/article/creating-a-favicon/

This included:
    WordPress Version 4.3 or later # WordPress Version 4.3 or later

WordPress Version 4.3 implemented a Site Icon feature that enables favicons on your web site.
    When you use the Site Icon feature, you don’t need to prepare the favicon.ico file by yourself, or modify your template file. All you have to do is navigate to the Customize screen and specify a square image that has a height and width of at least 512 px.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

Any chance you can open a new topic for your question?

Thanks 🙂

John

No need Leo,
    As per David’s advice 21 July
    “Hi there,

sometimes it requires a re-index of your home page and a few day wait for Google to update the logo.”

Mu favicon is now appearing on mobile Google SERPs = Yay. The issue is closed.
    Thank you

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.