[Support request] Easy grid/column tool for sections? Without plugin.

Home Forums Support [Support request] Easy grid/column tool for sections? Without plugin.

Home Forums Support Easy grid/column tool for sections? Without plugin.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Westerlund

I really don’t wanna have to add a lot of plugins to the site. Just having to have the Elementor page builder plugin felt a little annoying since it feels a bit “messy”, just not a nice solution to have to create a Elementor template and then add that shortcode into GP Elements footer content. That’s just mazy.

Even more the way I did with the free version of Elementor that required another plugin just to be able to get a shortcode out of the footer template. And Elementor premium subscription has another pricing plan that I don’t like where you have to pay monthly and you have to buy the most expensive to use it on unlimited sites. I mean of course things have to cost. I’m just disappointed now of what I thought would be a really smooth experience with GeneratePress Premium to just get a simple site up quickly with not much coding requirements. I’m a developer. I can code myself. But there’s no reason to develop the wheel twice and I really hoped to find an easy to quickly set up new sites now and then when I get requests about that. And it’s just a lot quicker with these new page builders to work instead of coding.

So, what I seemed to think was the super easy and good theme with GeneratePress since I found it a week ago with the super simple UX but at the same time all the basic features to quickly set up a new website, became messy anyway since there’s not an easy solution to use page builder at all the parts of the site, even the global parts.

But with these annoying tweaks I had to make for the footer to look what I wanted, now the next thing appeared. Sections. So I can’t use the page builder in the sections to even create grids? Instead you refers to special “grid plugins”. Yes you have your own css-solution, but then we’re back to coding. Coding should just be what I have to do if there’s a really odd or unique requirement. Not just regular grids. That Elementor already offer. That’s so annoying. There IS a solution on the site for it in Elementor. But there’s no easy way to use it. I guess I would have to to it the same way as I did with the footer? And I have to do that on all my sections where i wanna use Elementor? There would be so confusing if anyone else would like to change something on the site. “You wanna change something on that page? No, you can’t fo to Pages in admin. you have to go to Elementor Templates and then find the section name for the section you wanna edit”

The absolutly best would be if WordPress’s new block sections could replace your own sections so that there was a way to add a block with full with background color ir image but an inner container with the global content width set. Cause there is a built-in grid tool already in WordPress blocks.

Is there ANY good solution to my problem without having to get a specific plugin just for making grids to sections and also not having to buy Elementor Pro? And with no coding.

Is what I want really that uncommon and unique? I just wanna have grids in a inner container for a section on the page.

Maybe I missed something? It almost feels like that. There must be something I missed?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

adding Grids/Columns has always been something overlooked in WordPress. It’s not something we would add within the Theme as it could lead to theme lock in. However the new Block Editor does provide a Columns Block ( expecting to see more improvements over time there ) which does make in editor ‘grids’ a thing.

The good news is we have developed a new Section Block, which provides the same and more features then the current Sections. And it works really well with the Column Block and supports nested sections.

Bad news is we won’t release it until Gutenberg fix a bug that we found in the editor. The bug effects all 3rd party plugin container blocks. The content within one if these blocks will be locked in and potentially lost if the block is every deregistered ( plugin removed ).

You can of course use the new Group Block that has been added to the Gutenberg Plugin in the latest release. It will require some CSS to style as it is just a DIV with a background color. But should at least give you the basics for your needs.

David Westerlund

Okay I see. How do I know what version of Gutenberg I have? It’s built-in to WordPress. I seem to have the latest version of WordPress at least. But there’s no group block available anywhere what I can see. Maybe it’s coming to next WordPress update?

What I would like to do know is to hook into a block and wrap every block with a div that will have the inner with value from your theme settings. I have searched a little bit on Google to find if anyone have done the same, with hooking and wrapping at least, but couldn’t really find a clear or solved solution for that.

Is that something you know directly is possible? Is there a hook anywhere in the codes to grab and do that? Maybe it’s problematic since Gutenberg seems to be based on shortcodes or some kind of replacement codes. But I think it could work anyway? Tweak into the functions that are replacing those shortcodes..right?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Install the Gutenberg Plugin from the WordPress Repository. All improvements and bug fixes are rolled out in the plugin several weeks before they are merged into WordPress core. So i have the plugin installed for all my builds.

The Block Editor is built in React JS, ( there’s no shortcodes ) – what your currently trying to do isn’t possible without either custom coding your own block or using a 3rd party block that provides Sections/Containers. Albeit that will suffer from the bug i mentioned above.

The real good news is in the last 12hrs or so a Fix to the bug we found has been raised. Which means we are hopeful that our Section Block will be included in GPP 1.9.

David Westerlund

I went for another solution. I set the width for Elementor’s inner container to the same width as GP’s inner container. And then I’m just using Elementor for the whole page instead of Gutenberg blocks or GP sections. Can’t believe I didn’t thought of that earlier. It’s even better cause I’ll get access to all of the features in Elementor.

Kai

any news on the Section Block release? The update pending on gutenberg bug fix.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we decided that block development was best released as a separate plugin, which we released here:

https://generateblocks.com

Kai

Pefect. Thanks. Does that work with sections?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No – it works within the WordPress Gutenberg editor only.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.