Cyber Week Sale! Get $20 off GP Premium, $40 off our new Lifetime license, and 45% off license renewals/extensions! Learn more

[Support request] Dropdown menu on click is ok for mobile but not desktop

Home Forums Support Dropdown menu on click is ok for mobile but not desktop

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steve

The drop-down menu items are not accessible on a mobile when set to default (hover) so I changed this to “Click – Menu Item” (in Customize > Layout > Primary Navigation” and that works fine.

However, the desktop view now requires you to click the top menu item which is counter-intuitive and also doesn’t seem to allow for access to the top-level menu item.

I’d prefer to be able to click the menu item on a mobile and hover on desktop view.

Any help appreciated.

Note, rightly or wrongly, I’m using a child theme of GeneratePress but also testing on a test site which is not using a child theme.

Thanks

GeneratePress 2.0.1
    GP Premium 1.5.6
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

On mobile it should always be clicked (as there’s no hover) by default regardless what you set in the customizer (for desktop).

What exactly isn’t working?

Steve

Mobile works as expected as you say, there’s no ‘hover’ of course. But you have to click the menu item and I’d expect to hover over it to see the drop-down.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

For desktop? You should be able to set it to hover in customizer then on mobile it will still be click.

Let me know if I’m misunderstanding something.

Steve

Ok did that, it’s kind of ok but seems fiddly – try it on a mobile .. presentingchange.co.uk

Seems ok if I click the link a couple times ..

Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It is fiddly on mobile.

Can you try #1 here to eliminate plugin conflict first? https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

I see a few console errors on your site.

Steve

I still have this issue so I set up a basic site as a demo/test site. Here it is: http://cubelab.space/elementor/

(the actual live site I’m working on with the problem is presentingchange.co.uk/access)

No plugins apart from GP Premium and just deleted Elementor, same issue.

Nav works with hover ok on the desktop but you have to press the menu item twice to see the drop-down.

It seemed to work once and I wondered if it’s a ‘visited’ state or something, can you try it and let me know what result you see and advise a fix if still an issue.

thank you so much!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Steve,

It was indeed a bug 🙂 I have been looking for this topic to update so thanks for replying again!

Can you try the fix here? https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/having-to-click-twice-for-mobile-menu-sub-categories/#post-468693

Steve

Is it worth waiting for the update to be applied to the next theme update?

I don’t know why I did this but I created a child theme and not sure the best way to apply this fix. I can wait until the fix is added to the next update or I could remove the child theme and upload the new files you refer to but I’m concerned I will lose my settings already applied in the customizer etc.

Any advice welcome …

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You just need to remove and reinstall the parent theme. No settings will be lost.

Or you can wait for the update, should come out decently soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.