[Resolved] Do you need a child theme if your only changes are CSS

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Do you need a child theme if your only changes are CSS

Home Forums Support Do you need a child theme if your only changes are CSS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lyle

As the title states, if the only changes one is making to the GP theme are CSS, via your Simple CSS plugin, does one really need a child theme? In other words, are you CSS changes maintained when the GP theme is updated?

On a side not, I noticed while making some CSS adjustments, that the Simple CSS plugin editor and the one that shows up in the Customizer aren’t always in synch. Should they be? I removed some lines in the Simple CSS plugin editor screen (like that one better as there is more real estate for these tired old eyes) and save, but then wondered why the changes weren’t being reflected on the site. Went into the Customizer Simple CSS editor, and those removed lines were still there.

Cheers!
    Lyle

Bishop

Hi Lyle,
    – The CSS you entered in the Simple CSS plugin will be there when the theme/plugin is updated.
    – I’m not sure why the CSS in the plugin editor and in the customizer are not the same for you. I just tested on my site they sync perfectly for me…I’m sure Tom will know why πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A child theme is necessary if you’re adding custom page templates etc.. Otherwise they aren’t completely needed.

Both of those boxes should definitely be in sync – maybe you have some funky characters in there?

Lyle

Thanks guys, and I’ll double check for “funky characters”; I know there are definitely some of them in my neighborhood πŸ˜‰

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Let me know if you can’t find the issue – screenshots would definitely help πŸ™‚

Max

Lyle

I recently had to think about the same issue. The rule of thumb that I decided to apply was that if I only had css changes then no need to run a child theme. However, if you need to edit a theme page file (or several) then you should run a child theme (with your css and edited theme page files) and delete the your css plugin.

Of course there is also the argument that everyone needs a child theme because it is good practice to have a customized 404 page. If you agree with that view then perhaps you can run a child theme with a custom 404 page and your edited css. You can then delete your css plugin.

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-themes/how-to-improve-your-404-page-template-in-wordpress/

Kind Regards

Max

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.