[Resolved] Disable header element when no featured image is uploaded

Home Forums Support Disable header element when no featured image is uploaded

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    George

I have set up a header element that is displayed in all posts and pages. The element shows the featured image and the title when a page is loaded and the post title with the post meta and category when a post is loaded. All post meta is being displayed through header element template tags.

I want to be able to programmatically disable the header element whenever a featured image is not present in a post or page. What I mean but that is that I want it to be completely deactivated (not hidden with CSS) so that normal single post meta tags are displayed instead as if the header element was not added.

I tried disabling the Featured Image / Page Header option on the page but that doesn’t seem to deactivate the header element.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    George

Yes, Leo, that’s EXACTLY what I want! I only had to add ! to the first thumbnail conditional.

Thanks!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    George

Hi Leo, sorry for opening this again. This only works for a post, how should I modify to work for a page as well?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I wonder if this would work:
    has_post_thumbnail( $post->ID )

George

Nope…

George

What about this _generate-disable-post-image, should it be something else for pages?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

Try this snippet.

add_filter( 'generate_header_element_display',function($display){

if( !has_post_thumbnail() || get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), '_generate-disable-post-image', true) === 'true' ){
    		$display = false;

} return $display;

},10,1);

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

George

Hi Elvin, the last code only works for pages now! This is what I have so far:

add_filter( 'generate_header_element_display', function( $display, $element_id ) {
        if ( 80 === $element_id ) { // Only target specific Element
            if ( !has_post_thumbnail(get_the_ID()) || get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), '_generate-disable-post-image', true ) === 'true' ) {
                $display = false;
            }
        }
        return $display;
    }, 10, 2 );

I have also disabled featured images for single posts and pages from the Customizer.

George

Only using has_post_thumbnail() in the conditions works, I think the rest of the condition has an issue?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I’ve updated the code from the previous reply.

Can you try and see if it works for you?

Here’s a temporary demo of it working. demo site

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

George

Hi, apologies, had a setting that was messing it up. This works for me:

add_filter( 'generate_header_element_display', function( $display, $element_id ) {
        if ( 80 === $element_id ) { // Only target specific Element
            if ( !has_post_thumbnail($post->ID) || get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), '_generate-disable-post-image', true ) === 'true' ) {
                $display = false;
            }
        }
        return $display;
    }, 10, 2 );

Basically what Leo said here:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/disable-header-element-when-no-featured-image-is-uploaded/#post-1505211

Apologies again, it seems to be working now, thank you both, amazing support as always!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear!

I’ll get this added to docs πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.