[Resolved] Custom Fonts – child theme? + Custom Fonts Plugin

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Custom Fonts – child theme? + Custom Fonts Plugin

Home Forums Support Custom Fonts – child theme? + Custom Fonts Plugin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthias

hi there,

we are using a font we have licensed for all our documents.
    Now i want to add the files (ttf) to our website.
    Beeing a lazy snob i tried the custom fonts plugin and simply uploaded the ttfs there. But in the customizer they are not shown. So guess – does not work (although i some time back read about someone trying).

Anyway – in your documentation you describe the way it is done by hand /ftp.
    So my question is regarding the mentioned child theme. I try to keep the website minimal – so only generatepress premium is on the page. Do i have to use a child theme for custom fonts (and therefore have 2 themes installed)? Or will it work with only one theme – gp premium – installed also (upgrading = deleting custom settings comes to mind)?

After adding i should easily see our font in the customizer -> typography ,right?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GP Premium is a plugin and not the theme.

Child theme itself is empty by default so it doesn’t have any effects on your page speed – it simply grabs the parent theme’s file for you unless you overwrite some functions in there in your child theme.

Using a child theme to add the custom font should be the way to go here.

Matthias

well – i didn’t get it to work myself – so i have to ask some more.

Since i dont use google fonts but our own ttf files the documentation is not fully fit.
    So:
    1. installing child theme – check
    2. adding ttf files into newly created /fonts folder in the child theme directory – check (although this was quite easy to see as you can mimic the folders in the main generatepress theme folder you might want to add this info – if its right).
    3. and now?

Beeing at “Using @font-face” the documentation isnt clear to me from that point.
    – seeing that the url is added – it comes to mind that i am using a sandbox environment to create the homepage (on a virtual machine -> my build is: Changes on virtual machine -> push changes to staging.mydomain.com via wordmove to check -> push to mydomain.com for live usage). So will the url for the font files work after uploading to staging and live?

– “Now above this field, copy all of the provided CSS, and add it to your website.” – well this only works if you use google fonts 😉 – so no css provided. How to do that with a custom font – not from google.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That article should work for custom font – Google font was just used for the example.

Would an article like this help?
    https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/

Suraj Katwal

I hope this article can help. Instead of Google fonts,Host Google Fonts Locally in WordPress you can try using your own fonts.
    You can try it from step 4

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.