[Resolved] Create a separate author.php for our child themes

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Create a separate author.php for our child themes

Home Forums Support Create a separate author.php for our child themes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Pete

I’m making a multi author website and I really need a dedicated author page I can customise. Any chance of making one?

Jean Paiva
    Developer

Pete the codex can help you, there’s a template example…CODEX AUTHOR TEMPLATE

πŸ™‚

Pete

es I’ve seen that but i’d prefer Tom to make an official version. Also I’d like to see an author.php/archive.php page that works with CPT’s. At the moment I’m working with CPT’s and this isn’t showing up on the author’s profile page.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not exactly sure what you’re wanting me to do? I can’t really built custom templates for people through the forum unless I know it will benefit a lot of people/implement it in core.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Pete

At the moment the author page is mixed in with the archive page. This makes it hard for us learning folk to customise the author side of things separate from the post archive stuff. An author.php file would help.

Also the CPTs are not supported in archive.php. It would be awesome if this could be implemented.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can always place an author.php in your child theme with any changes you’ll need – you can start with something like this: https://gist.github.com/generatepress/36e28f0f16d4053033c1

All CPTs will use the archive.php template by default – that’s just the way WP works. If it’s not working, you may have to do this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Archive_page

Pete
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea – GP is just meant to be a lightweight template to work on top of. It’s pretty easy to build on top of if necessary, but I want to avoid adding too much. The more templates/files I add, the more room for bugs and issues arise.

As it is right now, it works for 98% of users, and the 2% who need to expand on it can easily use a child theme to add their custom files.

If more and more users require separate templates then I’ll definitely consider it, but right now the want just isn’t big enough.

Pete

“If you build it they will come”

Oooo here’s an idea for the next add on… An option to build an author page with the ability to add extra fields and display then in the author.php page

Boom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What kind of extra fields?

Pete

User fields

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What would be in those fields? Any examples of an awesome author template?

Pete

Google map
    Date field
    Drop down
    Multiple choice etc.

Authors are more than just what WP think they are (bloggers)

Or use an established user meta plugin to make the fields and use their api to get those fields

Pete

I’m using WP User Front End Pro to make my user registration profile fields

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Seems a little out of scope for a lightweight starter theme, but it could be added to the Blog add-on perhaps πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.