[Support request] Container Width Issue

Home Forums Support [Support request] Container Width Issue

Home Forums Support Container Width Issue

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jm1991

Hello!

I can’t for the life of me figure out this container issue on mobile that I’m coming across.

You’ll see on the homepage link I provided a module with the text that contains “Hello there!”. On mobile, you can see that the container is full width. There is no padding on either side.

However, on the second link provided padding still exists on the equivalent module, despite me trying to customise said module to be the same as the homepage module

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

The home page is using the full width content container setting:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/content-container/

Let me know if this helps πŸ™‚

jm1991

Hi Leo,

Thanks for responding!

So the homepage module container wasn’t set to Full Width, at least within my settings. I have now changed it to full width; you can see the difference in how the container looks on the homepage.

Even though full width has been selected on the module found on the “About” page (it is a reusable block, however), it still doesn’t expand to full width and I’ve had this issue since yesterday. I’ve purged my cache numerous times, but that container doesn’t seem to update.

I actually like the design of the container on the “About” page on desktop with the white space on either side, but it seems like I can’t add a background colour to a grid. If I try to add a background colour to the container within the grid, the section just above and below the image is different, so going full width is something I might have to go along with.

However, I can let that slide… I just don’t know why the container on the “About” page isn’t replicating the homepage equivalent now.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hello there,

From my end, they look the same, and have the same Container Width.

Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like from your end?

Can you temporarily add the Background color as well, and we’ll see what’s occurring?

jm1991

Hi Fernando,

The first screenshot is the settings container module on the homepage:

https://i.postimg.cc/x8kCqj0L/Homepage.jpg

The below second screenshot is the settings container module on the “About” page:

https://i.postimg.cc/VNCPSSMf/About.jpg

I have now also changed the background colour on the homepage to illustrate what I mean by sections above and below the images not blending in.

I have also submitted links in the private location box that shows how the container looks different on mobile between the two pages, specifically, how the container is wider on mobile on the homepage.

Thanks!

Fernando
    Customer Support

Let’s remove the padding first on mobile.

To do this, go to Appearance > Customize > Layout > Container, and then remove the left and right padding on mobile. Example: https://share.getcloudapp.com/Jru8GRNg

jm1991

Done and purged my cache.

It looks like that’s resolved the “About” page issue; however, it does mean that the universal padding has been removed for other sections on the page.

Does this mean I’ll have to manually adjust padding for each section I create, instead of relying on the universal setting, if I want to avoid this issue?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

If a page/post’s content container is set to full width or contain, this will remove the theme paddings.

You will need to manually add paddings for each section.

Or you can wrap all your content into one container and set paddings to the parent container.

But if I were you, I would set the About page or any static pages that built with blocks to full width and keep the paddings in the customizer for index pages like blog (if you don’t have any, then it doesn’t matter) πŸ™‚

jm1991

Thanks Ying.

Just to clarify, your recommendation is manually set up padding and set containers to full width, except for the more dynamic pages like /blog?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry if I didn’t make it clear πŸ˜›

I would recommend:

1. Keep the paddings set in the customizer, the paddings will apply to blog, archive, and single posts.

2. Set static pages’ content container to full width, as the modern-looking websites are all going for the full width layout nowadays πŸ™‚ And static pages are mainly built with blocks, you can control the paddings of the pages via blocks’ settings.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.