[Support request] CLS problem with slideout overlay and page hero

Home Forums Support [Support request] CLS problem with slideout overlay and page hero

Home Forums Support CLS problem with slideout overlay and page hero

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Norman

So, I’ve spent the past half hour looking through the previous CLS topics but sadly I was not able to find an exact solution for my problem. But if there is, kindly point me towards it.

I seem to have two major problems with CLS

1) div class=”slideout-overlay”
    I tried to change to flexbox but that didn’t really fix the issue. Am I missing something?

2) div class=”page-hero grid-container grid-parent”

The hero also seems to generate an LCP problem on top of the CLS issue.

How do I fix these two issues?

There is also a problem with “div class=”site grid-container container hfeed”” but from what I gathered that’s related to my ads and probably nothing I can (read want) to fix.

Norman

Hm..anyone out there?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

your topic slipped past our system – so please accept our apologies for not replying sooner.

Can you disable the Optimized CSS delivery (Critical CSS) option in WP Rocket – the automatic method is one of the main causes of CLS that we see.

Norman

Okay..that seems to have done something. However, I still get the LCP issue for div class=”page-hero grid-container grid-parent”

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is the background image in the Header Element the Featured Image?

Norman

yes it is.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try adding this PHP Snippet:

add_action( 'wp_head', function() {
        if( is_single() ) {
            if ( wp_is_mobile() ) {
                $featured_img_url = get_the_post_thumbnail_url(get_the_ID(),'medium_large'); 
                echo '<link rel="preload" as="image" href="'.$featured_img_url.'"/>';
            } else {
                $featured_img_url = get_the_post_thumbnail_url(get_the_ID(),'full');
            }
        }		
    });

How to add PHP: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

This will preload the background image, including a smaller attachment size for Mobile.

Norman

Hm..tried that but doesn’t seam to work ๐Ÿ™

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

well the code is working as the image request is now being made before the HTML is loaded….
    But the file its outputting is still 183kb … how large was the original image in file size ?

Norman

The image is 1200 by 801 pixels and the file size is 188kb.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Well Google PSI is definitely having a turn on this one… LCP on background images are awfully hit and miss.
    As this cannot be explained:

2021-05-11_13-09-43

If you check the first frame of the filmstrip highlighted in Red box you can see the LCP ( featured image ) element. If there were the actual delay between FCP and LCP time then that featured image would not be visible in the first frame… going by the FCP/LCP timings i wouldn’t expect to see it anywhere near the first frame.

Which makes it really hard ( impossible ) to debug. We’re preloading the featured image, as you can see here in the waterfall report:

https://www.webpagetest.org/result/210511_BiDcGE_ae9694fae6582736726d45afd843af48/1/details/#waterfall_view_step1

its the first request to be made after the HTML has loaded. So theres not a request delay.

So this leaves it down to two possiblities ( in my mind anyways ):

1. The size of the image – google may just be ‘simulating’ that image takes longer to display then it is.
    Reducing the size of the image would help.

We could try a quick test, in the code above you will see:

medium_large and large – change them both to medium so we can see if it pulls in the smallest of images.

2. Inteference from other scripts – aside of the unexplainable film strip – i notice every PSI report i ran there were completely different opportunities being flagged. One of the common one was the ezoic ad scripts causing render blocking. You can try deferring those scripts using a plugin like Flying Scripts.

In addition to this – running multiple tests i get various results and various opportunities. They never seem to be the same.

Norman

Okay..you seem to be switching up some things here.
    – I am not with Ezoic, so I doubt there is Ezoic code running ๐Ÿ˜‰
    – In your PHP code there was no large, just a full. I changed that to medium as well. Tho no change at all.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Aah my bad – false of habit – i meant mediavine ( just saw an Advert script ) appearing in a render blocking opportunity in PSI.

Remove the above snippet and try adding this instead:

add_action( 'wp_head', function() {
        if( is_single() ) {
            $featured_img_url = get_the_post_thumbnail_url(get_the_ID(),'medium'); 
            echo '<style>
            @media(max-width: 500px) {
                .page-hero { background-image: url('.$featured_img_url .');}
            }
            </style>';
        }		
    });
    Norman

doesn’t seem to work either. It does seem to improve the speed score on two out of three requests, tho. God…I hate these core vitals

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Well that code is definitely an improvement. On mobile networking test – the image is preloaded ( first in the request queue ) and its a tiny 13kb. Thats a 170kb saving! It loads so fast it actually appears before the logo….
    Tested on Lighthouse locally the FCP is 1.3s ( matching Google PSI ) and the LCP is a consistent 2.2s.

But we still see the anomaly on PSI.

So the only thing i can consider is that ‘something’ else is interfering with the API that measures the LCP element. I still see the Mediavine CSS being preloaded ( the browser complains its preloaded but not used with a short time ) and then theres all the scripts that they load.

A simple to test to determine whether the advert code is interferring would be to temporarily disable it.

As other than this – i am at total loss !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.