[Resolved] Child Theme CSS Cache Busting

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Child Theme CSS Cache Busting

Home Forums Support Child Theme CSS Cache Busting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Todd

I am using a child theme CSS since I have almost 700 lines of CSS and I can seem to get the site to update the the cache for Changes I make to the CSS. I don’t have any caching or optimization turned on and this is still the case. The site is Cached within SiteGround but I purge all levels of cache and the changes still do not show up.

I noticed that if I put the CSS in simple CSS or in the additional CSS in the customizer that this is not an issue since it seems like there is something that pushes a query string or something that updates CSS changes when changes are made there.

I am looking for a method to do this with the child theme CSS I have read a little bit about changing the in enqueuing but the seems a little complicated.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Hmm I would recommend checking your CSS first and make sure there isn’t mistakes:
    https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

If there is a mistake above, like a missing closing bracket, it can stops the CSS below from executing.

Let me know if this helps.

Todd

Yes, I checked it, I took the same CSS and put it in Simple CSS and everything is fine.

I am looking for a way though that allows me to use the Child theme CSS since I could see getting to a point of having over 1000 lines in there. Both Simple CSS and the additional CSS seem to work just fine and the CSS updates when I make changes. The child theme does not update even though I purge the cache on the server (SiteGround) unless I view it in incognito. Obviously I could clear my cache on my browser but that does not help with all the previous visitors of the site including my client.

I assume that there is a query string or something that changes on Simple and additional CSS files to update the CSS cache where as the child theme CSS does not. I have tried adding a query string to the end of the Child Theme Style.css file but that does not work.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The child theme style.css file should have a query string added to it by default. That string should update each time the file is saved.

Do you have anything removing query strings on your site? Can you share a link so I can take a look?

Todd

Yes, I have a plugin on site called perfmatters and I had the Remove Query Strings: enabled. I should have thought of that.

I will get with the developers to see if I can just exclude the style.css from the settings.

BTW, I am premium license for WPSP and I have what I think is a simple issue “Updated Date Meta from GeneratePress” to solve and I have not heard anything for a month.

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sorry about that! I wasn’t notified. Replied 🙂

Todd

No problem, Thank you!

johnaps

I have the same problem but no plugins interefere with the query strings…
    Edit: Found it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.