[Support request] Can you display different content in the different sidebars?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Can you display different content in the different sidebars?

Home Forums Support Can you display different content in the different sidebars?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Susan

Hi
    I am trying to create a page for my Youtube videos. (I am using wp youtube lite plugin and displaying thumbnail size).
    This plugin can only be used in widgets. (I believe)
    So I wondered if I could create a page with 2 sidebars on the left of the page (my default sidebar is one on the right)
    Will the content displayed in the 2 left sidebars be different to the right one?

If not, can you think of another way I would display my video lite content?
    Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the left sidebar; will it only ever be shown on your videos pages ?
    Or will you have a left sidebar with different content on other pages ?

Susan

I will only ever use the left sidebar on the video page. I was hoping to use 2 left sidebars but perhaps the 2nd one is classed as a right sidebar?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The theme provides 2 sidebars, Left and Right.
    You can display them both on the left side so the layout is:

Left Sidebar | Right Sidebar | Content

So are we looking at this for example?

Most of the site: No Sidebar | Right Sidebar | Content
    Video page: Left Sidebar | Right Sidebar | Content

I assume the Right Sidebar returns the same widgets wherever it is viewed ?

Susan

Most of the site is no sidebar content right sidebar.
    So I have understood that I can use the left sidebar and it will display different content?
    But the right sidebar will always display the same content regardless of its location?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

So I have understood that I can use the left sidebar and it will display different content?

Both sidebars can display different content, we are just trying to figure out what you want πŸ™‚

Susan

I have a right side bar for all pages except for the youtube page.

What I want to do is create the youtube page with two sidebars situated at the left of the page.(containing different content)
    I would like both side bars on Youtube page to contain different content to that displayed in the right side bar (all other pages).

This is because I want to have widgets containing my youtube videos inside the 2 left sidebars.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

1. To have 2 sidebars on that page, you can select both sidebarsas the sidebar layout in the page editor:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/NwgEjmVM

2. It seems the plugin offers shortcode as well, got the info from here:
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-youtube-lyte/
    In this case, if you want to add the plugin content based on your normal sidebar, you can use a block element, choose hook as element type, select before_left_sidebar_content or before_right_sidebar_content as the hook name depends on your needs. Add a shortcode block, enter the shortcode, and assign the element to page > Youtube page in display rule > location,
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-hook/

3. If you want entirely different sidebars on that page, choose right sidebar or left sidebar as the element type instead of hook.

Susan

On the video page, I want two different sidebars (from the normal sidebar) So it is option 3??

Can you explain more fully what you mean by element type rather than hook? I am really struggling to understand.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

On the video page, I want two different sidebars (from the normal sidebar) So it is option 3??

I think so πŸ™‚

More info on block element – sidebar:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-sidebar/

Susan

My question was- could you please explain exactly what I need to do.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s here NO.2:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/can-you-display-different-content-in-the-different-sidebars/#post-2317827

The only difference between NO.2 and NO.3 is to choose right sidebar or left sidebar as the element type.

The concept of block element - right/left sidebar is to replace the default sidebar entirely.

So you can build a completely different sidebar for certain pages. I hope I’ve made it clear.

In your case, you need 1 block element - right sidebar and 1 block element -left sidebar.

Susan

Hi
    I am trying to create a block element right sidebar to be displayed on 1 page only. I want it to be a custom sidebar displaying content different to the right sidebar on the other pages.

I have set the location to Page and the title of the page I want which is Youtube
    I have set the element type as right sidebar

On the Youtube page I am creating I am using both sidebars to the left of the page. However all other pages have the right sidebar on the right of page and I want to keep all that sidebar content.

My worry is that I have this message:

This will remove the current sidebar widgets for the selected sidebar. Your layout must have a sidebar set for this Element to show.

Does the fact that I have specified the location as 1 page only mean that the changes will only be applied to the right sidebar on that single page?
    I do not want to lose all the content on my default sidebar.
    Thanks

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’ve replied to your other topic. πŸ™‚

Let’s keep on discussing one topic.

Susan

Hi Lin

I am still encountering problems: I raised a ticket this morning-

I have created a block element. which I have called custom sidebar The block is right sidebar
    I want to apply this to a page (that has been set as location) and add widgets
    I do not know how to do this as the option is not showing up on the customiser for that page.
    The page is called Youtube
    Can you help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.