[Resolved] Between Footer and Taskbar

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Between Footer and Taskbar

Home Forums Support Between Footer and Taskbar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

Given all the browser and display zooming I’ve done over the last week I’ve come across something else.

Between the footer and the taskbar I get approx 1-3 pixels of a another colour like white or grey showing.

It appears Chrome and MS Edge have the issue whereas Firefox seems to be unaffected.

Its not my CSS because it remains the same if I remove it all.

Is there some CSS that ensures the bottom of the footer meets the taskbar when the windows maximised?

Cheers

Garth Dryland

Tom

Here’s a link to some examples of what I mean.

Note the Large Chrome image differs from the others three. The line showing isn’t always solid/constant for some reason either ?

Any idea whats going on ?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Garth,

I don’t think it’s CSS at all, it’s just a result of zooming in/out in the browser.

Browser zooming isn’t a perfected thing, which is why some browsers do it better than others (Chrome vs Firefox for example).

Can I ask why you use the zoom in your browser instead of just increasing the font size in your browser?

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

I zoom in and out because of the other problems i’m experiencing re @media issues discussed over the last few days. Its the only way to make my site show as it should without the formatting changing (for example loosing the right sidebar widgets at 1025px. Also the lower scroll bar appears which seems connected to the back t top button. When the back to top icon is showing the lower scroll bar flashes off and on as I slide the page down to various display sizes while testing the layout of the site moving it through various @media points. Different levels of zoom allows me to do this without loosing the format or having this scroll bar issue.

I mentioned the other day its annoying because I find myself zooming browser and display sizes in/out and that I hope there’s a fix for it. You said you would check to see if there was a solution last time you replied on that thread. Its really frustrating but I am trying to work with what i have right now.

Here’s an example

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Still working on the zoom fix, but still not sure why you’re required to zoom in and out on your site a lot?

That horizontal scrollbar is interesting – are you using the latest version of the add-ons and theme?

Does it happen when the admin bar is turned off?

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom,

I zoom in to find a sweet spot that allows me to view the site as I should be able too so I don’t experience these issues, to zooming out because with it zoomed in its really impractical to work on given I cant see a lot of my site at any one time on screen.

So I have this constant battle of where I need to resize the site too, to where I want it zoom wise so its practical to see the site. If I was to increase the font size that doesn’t change the format pixel/monitor/browser/display wise, just the fonts within such.

It also appears that the lower scroll bar issue/behaviour is much the same. It doesn’t always happen unless the browser/display is zoomed accordingly. It doesn’t appear to be associated to the admin bar however it does appear to happen when window hits the edge of the site. In my case that’s at 1080px.

It doesn’t appear to be related to my CSS or to do with any changes I’ve made between my production and staging sites. It appears that all the issues I’m experiencing are somewhat connected to each other. Fix one and I suspect that all these problems will be resolved. I hope that makes sense to you.

I believe you managed to recreate the issue I see by zooming display/browser earlier this week whereby I loose the right side widgets at 1025px so maybe try using my production site to recreate these additional issues.

Note: the back to top button “must” be visible for this scroll bar issue to occur. I can also recreate this on your site.

Also note you may see a solid scroll bar on my production site above at times around 800-900px however that is a formatting issue and is not connected to the problem described here. I have fixed that on my staging site by increasing my right side widgets from 25% to 30% so that the twitter feed fits properly within therefore the scroll bar no longer appears.

PS my sites are always running the latest plugins/themes.

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The issue with the grid at 1025px is definitely fixable, but I’m not sure about these other issues.

I can’t replicate the back to top button issue on your site or on mine, at any zoom in or out range.

Artifacts like the border etc.. are caused by the browser itself, so I don’t think that’s going to be fixable until the browser itself improves the zooming functionality.

Luckily, these issues are quite minor to the average user, as very few people browse websites zooming in and out.

However, the grid issue is my main priority right now, as that is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

I appreciate your help on this ๐Ÿ™‚

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

You may be misunderstanding what I mean by zoom in and out. I don’t mean sitting there zooming. I use it at one level and later change it as a work around. I only zoom in and out to resolve the issues I’m experiencing to find a sweet spot as the problems typically occur at what I would consider a normal viewing size. This is how I initially found the issue. I only worked out later that zooming in more was a temp work around but its to large to be practical for constant use, hence I zoom back out at times. It can also occur when zoomed out too for example at 100% display zoom and under 100% on the browsers but its also not practical to work on like this given the size.

Did you use Chrome or Firefox for testing or both ? You may also have to apply zoom to the display, not just the browser to recreate the issue. I find it happens on Chrome at 125% display zoom and 125% browser (but not limited to this). On Firefox try 125% display and 170% + on browser. You may also need to restart PC after changing setting before testing. It does seem worse on Chrome but it still happens on Firefox and the Edge.

On my computer the default display zoom is 125% (recommended) because of the HD graphics are rather small otherwise. I also increased the browser zoom to 125% because my eyes aren’t that great these days and I am use to a 1360px wide desktop not this 1920px HD display. Other people also potentially do this too.

I suspect however that if you fix the grid issue the others may also be sorted. I feel that they are connected given they only appear at certain levels of zoom like the 1025px grid issue does. For example it may happen at 125% but not at 110% or 150% but may occur again at 175% etc. Given that 125% display and browser zoom is where the 1025px issue happens and this scrollbar back to top button issue also occurs there I somehow doubt that’s just a coincidence.

I also cant recreate any of these issues on other websites that aren’t GP based and I have tested heaps for ages.

Do you have an ETA on the grid fix?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I probably won’t be able to get it out for this next version coming out, as there’s a few fixes I want out ASAP and the grid one will take quite a bit more testing.

However, I will have it out for the next one (1.3.35).

Just to confirm, you’re not experiencing any of these issues at 100% zoom, correct? Only at 125% and larger?

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom,

This was an interesting exercise.

I tested it first and foremost on Chrome (as its the most commonly used) with browser set to 100% and display set at 100%, 125%, 150% and 175% and all worked seamlessly. There were no issues.

Firefox and Microsoft Edge however are another story.

With display at 175% & Firefox at 100% 1025px issue occurs & others appear ok
    With display at 175% & MS Edge at 100% everything appears ok
    With display at 150% & Firefox at 100% 1025px issue occurs & others appear ok
    With display at 150% & MS Edge at 100% 1025px issue occurs & others appear ok
    With display at 125% & Firefox at 100% 1025px issue occurs & others appear ok
    With display at 125% & MS Edge at 100% everything appears ok
    With display at 100% & Firefox at 100% everything appears ok
    With display at 100% & MS Edge at 100% everything appears ok

Hope that helps to sort the bug(s)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for the testing! I have a version for you to try out if you want to shoot me an email through the contact form: https://generatepress.com/contact

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

I just flicked one through.

Cheers

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

The test plugin update sorted the floating menu issue early believed to be related to the back to top button.

The grid issue at 1025px also appears to be fixed. It also seems to have sorted what I could see between the footer and taskbar. Is that a possibility? Could the grid have been improved there ?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It could have.

That’s great that we managed to fix both issues – thanks for your help! ๐Ÿ™‚

Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

No problem. Glad to be of help.

Will this bug fix be released in the next version ?

What version number ?

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.