[Support request] Article vs BlogPosting

Home Forums Support [Support request] Article vs BlogPosting

Home Forums Support Article vs BlogPosting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dprophitjr

As you move towards better structured data, I think there should be two template parts to choose while creating a new post: article or blogposting.

You can reference what is required from schema.org and I think it will help us out a lot more than CreativeWork which is a very broad content type. What I see now is a lot of unassociated entity types in Google SDTT. All of these should fall under certain types: Webpage, Itempage, ContactPage, AboutPage, CollectionPage, CheckoutPage, ProfilePage, et al. See http://schema.org/WebPag

All other entity types such as Article, Comments, WPHead, etc should be nested. As the structured data expert, Jarno Van Driel, puts it: when everything is a top level MTE, it’s just a bag of non-related entities. Nest them and they have a relationship with one another.

Are WooCommerce tags handled in this theme or from WooCommerce stock theme templates? I went to check indexing this morning and found that a product tag page included no title. Just tag description. The entire content was indexed as description including non-relevant text like the number of products within the tag, the navigation text and the nested products. This should be a CollectionPage with an Itemlist structured data format. There is much that can be done to get the navigational type text OUT of the index using correct HTML5 tagging ( POSH HTML5 ).

I found that comments from content*.php isn’t in a section with nested articles. You used an H3. Comment schema isn’t even present. That would include interaction counts as well. And potential actions. The form itself has misused html5 form tags. An email input type isn’t text. It’s a ’email’ type input. The URL isn’t a text input. It is a URL input. Is there a <label for "comment"> for the text area? <screen readers>… More reading about nested comments within an article at http://html5doctor.com/the-article-element/ and go down to the Article with nested comments as articles. This layout would correct the HTML5 outline. BTW: add recaptcha to comment form if registration is not required to make comment.

I love the theme. Schema isn’t as on-point as Genesis. But, it can get there. Even Genesis has long-term issues with too many top-level MTE’s. MTE stands for Multi-typed Entities. Read https://www.seroundtable.com/google-structured-data-testing-tool-now-validates-mte-23259.html

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Denver,

Appreciate the feedback!

It’s tough to make schema very specific when you have a multi purpose theme. As it is right now, it’s as specific as it can be, while applying to everyone.

Of course, this isn’t ideal. Soon, I’ll be implementing a new markup function which will allow you to filter any element within the theme, and change the schema/attributes. This way you can make it very specific to your needs.

WooCommerce handles all internal WC schema.

Thanks for the heads up about the email field – I’ve just changed that in GP 2.0.

As for comment schema – this issue is logged in our GitHub, and we will be integrating schema shortly after 2.0 is released.

The best way to get individual things improved is to log a GitHub issue for each issue. Providing examples for each issue helps a lot as well.

Thanks again! Really appreciate it. Looking forward to making the theme more schema friendly 🙂

dprophitjr

Before I open an issue:

content.php

<div class="entry-content" itemprop="text">
    				<?php the_content(); ?>
    				<?php
    				wp_link_pages( array(
    					'before' => '<div class="page-links">' . __( 'Pages:', 'generatepress' ),
    					'after'  => '</div>',
    				) );
    				?>
    			</div><!-- .entry-content -->

Is this pagination? What is that div with the page-links class?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s for page pagination (rarely used) – it’s required to be added like that by WordPress.org.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.