[Resolved] Wrong title showing as h1 tag

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Wrong title showing as h1 tag

Home Forums Support Wrong title showing as h1 tag

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Currently, your site is using a static home page. This means that the page title would be <h1> by default.

If you used disable element to hide the page title, then that page would be without <h1>.

The snippet David provided is actually turning the site title “Lesson in Golf” to <h1> because you’ve hidden the page title which is the original <h1>.

It can be added anywhere in the child theme’s function.php file.

Does that make sense?

Joe

Kind of making sense but seem to be going round in circles. As the title of this post states, Wrong title showing as h1 tag which was one of my initial problems. The h1 tag which was in the page initially was for the term Home and not Lesson In Golf which I wanted.

You have previously given me the instructions of how to disable element to hide the page title, which I have done. Yes, now I want the h1 added back in as the page title, Lesson In Golf.

OK, so you say I can add it in anywhere in the function php. So will go for that and see if that does the job.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Then the Lesson in Golf needs to be the page title of that page.

Your current page title name is called Home I believe.

Joe

Yes, that is correct.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

So sounds like you need to change the title Home to Lesson in Golf?

Joe

That’s what I’ve been requesting, yes.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok so the issue is resolved?

Joe

Well at the moment I have done what was suggested. As far as resolved is concerned I’m not quite sure. I have sent the solution you have presented to the person/friend who first drew my attention to the problem with my site, so will see what they say. Probably the true test whether it is resolved or not will be if Google can pick up my site for the term I’m after. So only time will tell if it is resolved.

Thanks for your help so far.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Joe

Hi., I notice that my site still has the site title and tagline showing which looks a bit silly when I have a header with much the same information. I had this switched to HIDE previously but switched it to ON as you suggested when trying to get the site title in h1 tag.

When I switch it back to hide now the h1 tag with site title disappears.

Is there a way to use the HIDE function again and still have h1 tags with site title?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It sounds like you want to hide the site title and tagline in the customizer, then unhide the content title in the metabox of that page?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/disable-elements-overview/

Joe

When I unhide the content title in the metabox of that page as you suggest all that does is remove the word Home from the area above the content which is fine, yes. But what’s really bad about doing that is it then shows 2 areas of h1 tags. One for “Lesson in golf” and another for “Home”. Which is terrible SEO wise.

I already have a header image on my site and Generate Press has added another header and the tagline above mine where it states,
    “Lesson in Golf”
    “Driving and Putting Video Tutorials for Regular and Beginner Golfers”

How can I remove this without losing my site title in h1 tags because when I do this it strips out the h1 tag for site title? We have been all through this before. So please explain how I can remove the header and tagline that Generate Press adds to the page without it stripping out the h1 tag?

Quite honestly Generate Press has proven to be the most difficult theme I have ever used. Simple steps, like just adding content and leaving the theme to do the necessary certainly does not apply to your theme.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It really shouldn’t be this difficult – there are just a lot of miscommunication so let’s take a step back.

I believe the best solution here is to:

– Check to hide the site title and tagline:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/site-title-tagline/

– Remove the snippet David provided as that doesn’t sound like what you need:
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/wrong-title-showing-as-h1-tag/page/2/#post-1297943

– Then either UNHIDE the page title so you will have an <h1> on the page, or make “There’s A Lesson in Golf for Everyone” from Elementor an <h1>.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Joe

OK, I have completed, hide the site title and tagline and removed the snippet David provided.

Where do I UNHIDE the page title?

Do you mean the Content Title?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yup make sure it’s not checked in the disable element metabox 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.