[Support request] WP 4.9 upgrade "Argument #_ is not an array in …/widgets.php on line_" error

Home Forums Support [Support request] WP 4.9 upgrade "Argument #_ is not an array in …/widgets.php on line_" error

Home Forums Support WP 4.9 upgrade "Argument #_ is not an array in …/widgets.php on line_" error

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ria

After upgrading to WP 4.9 I’m now getting an error when navigating to the Appearance/Widgets area within the Dashboard. This is a fresh install on a local development site with the latest GP 1.4 and GP 1.5.3 premium plugin. GP Premium is the ONLY plugin activated.

Here is a screenshot: GP Widgets Area in Dashboard Errors

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Might be worth reporting here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/widgets-doesnt-work-with-wp-4-9/

The more people report it, the more likely WP will take notice.

Ria

Hey Tom,

I’ll certainly do that. But just for the record, I’ve tested this with other themes, including the default Twenty Seventeen theme, and everything works fine. It’s only with my GP setups that I’m experiencing this issue.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The poster in that topic is getting identical errors (even down to the lines in the code). I suppose they could be using GP, but it’s not likely.

When you switch to Twenty Seventeen, do any of the widget areas have widgets in them?

Ria

When I switch to other themes, including Twenty Seventeen, all is well and the widgets are all there, with no errors.

Twenty Seventeen ss

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

And when you activate GeneratePress, are there any widgets active in the widget areas?

Ria

Yes.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, I wonder if something was corrupted in your update. Can you try removing all of the widgets, then reloading the page?

Ria

Hi Tom,

I rolled back to WP 4.83 and then manually updated to WP 4.9 with from the download from wordpress.org. I had the same issues. I rolled back to WP 4.83 again and did the automatic update from within Dashboard, and same issues.

I removed all widgets from all widget areas and I’m still having the same issues. Here is a screen shot:
    Inactive widgets

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely looks like a WP 4.9 bug that they thought they fixed a couple months back during testing: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39693#comment:63

The reason it’s theme specific for you is the problem function is theme specific – it attempts to retrieve widgets specific to the current theme and place them in the correct areas. From what I can see, it should only happen on theme change, so I’m not sure why it’s persisting for you.

Keep an eye on that topic I mentioned – I’ll also try to get some core developers eyes on it.

Ria

Ok will do. Thanks, Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, someone already reported. Looks like it’s already patched and will ship in WP 4.9.1: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42603

Ria

Oh! That’s good news! Thanks! I’ll be looking forward to 4.9.1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.