[Resolved] WordPress 5.8 and beyond…

Home Forums Support [Resolved] WordPress 5.8 and beyond…

Home Forums Support WordPress 5.8 and beyond…

• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Leo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Hashim

Hi there,

Quick question…

Could you share a bit about your plans for the future while WordPress is moving more and more towards Full Site Editing with Block Based Themes?

I’m wondering if GeneratePress will eventually also become a block based theme with full site editing capabilities.

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Hashim

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Hashim,

In many ways, GeneratePress is already a block-based theme. Using Elements, you can build out any of your theme elements and replace the default theme elements with them.

The bonus here is that the theme is still fully dynamic. You can build different content templates for different pages, categories, posts. Different headers for logged-in/out users, different footers for different pages, and so on – there’s no limit and it’s already all 100% available.

As of right now, block-based themes are very static. They use HTML templates (no hooks) and you define styles manually in a theme.json file – no way to customize those via the Customizer, for example.

As WordPress moves forward, we will integrate the good parts of FSE into the theme while staying true to how the theme has always worked. Think of GeneratePress as a hybrid full-site editing theme.

With our GenerateBlocks plugin, we’re very in touch with the block editor and where WordPress is going, and we’re confident that GeneratePress will continue to thrive.

Let me know if you have any other questions ๐Ÿ™‚

Hashim

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for explaining!

I see myself switching all my websites fully to GeneratePress in the nearby future and keep GeneratePress and GenerateBlocks as my main setup for the years to come.

GeneratePress is already my number one choice for all of my new projects. And I’m using it for most of my existing websites. The only thing that’s stopping me to go all the way is that I’m also running a lot of webshops with WooCommerce. The available features and customization options for WooCommerce single product, product archive and other pages is still very limited. And I really need dynamic content features for WooCommerce so I can create elements that I can place in WooCommerce pages with hooks. So I’m using Kadence for WooCommerce webshops at the moment.

I’m sure that that will change in the nearby future. That will be the day that I can finally leave everything else behind and go for GeneratePress 100%.

I’m excited about the future of GeneratePress!

Sincerely,

Hashim

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for the great feedback.
    We’ll definitely be adding more Woo features in the future! But we’re keeping a close eye on what Woo is doing as we want to ensure what we do is both future proof and not made obsolete by whatever improvements woo makes ๐Ÿ™‚

Peter

Question, should I upgrade to 5.8 for my Generatepress site?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Peter,

We did a bit of testing w/ 5.8 and we didn’t find anything broken on GP, GB and GPP.

You can try updating as well but before you do, make a backup first just to be on the safe side as while GP, GB and GPP works well, we can’t speak for the other plugins you’re using. ๐Ÿ˜€

Rekamedia

I just updated to 5.8, when I click Customize, it just show Widgets options only. Is GP really compatible with 5.8?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there.

It is. That error can happen for many reasons – the main ones we see are:

Server problem – check Dashboard > Tools > Site Health.
    Plugin Conflict – disable other plugins to see if one is causing it.
    Bad code in Child Theme, temporarily disable child theme.

Kermit

Any progress on adding Full Site Editing features?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Kermit,

The widgets are not block-based now and it works with the theme so that’s a step forward. ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you looking for something specific?

Samuel

As WordPress moves forward, we will integrate the good parts of FSE into the theme while staying true to how the theme has always worked. Think of GeneratePress as a hybrid full-site editing theme.

With our GenerateBlocks plugin, weโ€™re very in touch with the block editor and where WordPress is going, and weโ€™re confident that GeneratePress will continue to thrive.

Thanks Tom for this statement. I just read this post and I think there is a lot in store. That’s right: Block elements are a great thing that I like to use often. I am curious how the journey with GP and GB continues, and thank you for your open words. This is what we users need.

David

Hi @Tom ยฟDid you think about offer a bundle of GP Pro and GB Pro?

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

We have no plans to implement this. There is also a bit of technical difficulties with the system we are using as well ๐Ÿ™‚

David

Any thoughts about WordPress 6.2? A lot of buzz out there. If there’s a thread on the forum I couldn’t find it.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi David,

I don’t think there is a thread yet.

Feel free to open a new topic and I’ll try to get some input from our developers again ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.