[Resolved] Woocommerce Reviews not appearing when using child theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Woocommerce Reviews not appearing when using child theme

Home Forums Support Woocommerce Reviews not appearing when using child theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    stewartmedia

Hi,

I’ve created a Woocommerce site using a GP child theme, with the pages built using Elementor. When a customer leaves a product review & star rating, the stars show on the single product page with a link to the reviews, but clicking on the reviews link (or just going to the reviews tab) shows the message “Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review”.

As I’d built the single product template using Elementor, I contacted them to see if they could help. They advised me to disable all plugins/switch theme etc to see what was causing the issue, and when I switched from the child theme to GP the reviews appeared as they should.

I’ve done lots of customisation to the child theme, but nothing I can see or think of which would affect the reviews displaying.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Andy,

So when you switch to the GP parent theme the issue goes away?

What kinds of changes have you made to the child theme? It sounds like something in there is messing with it.

stewartmedia

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the quick response. Yep, when I switch to the GP parent theme the reviews appear in the tab. I’ve added quite a lot of CSS and a few code snippets to the child theme, but there’s nothing which I can imagine would prevent the reviews from working.

:/

Hope you’re well ๐Ÿ™‚

stewartmedia

Also tried deactivating the snippets to see if they’re affecting it, but no joy

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That’s super strange.

Can you test it with a fresh child theme here and see if the same issue occurs?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/#installing-a-child-theme

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

stewartmedia

When I attempt to install a fresh child theme it says it has failed as there’s already a theme of that name. I should probably know this, but how can I change the theme’s name before importing it?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I would say just copy and paste your existing CSS and snippets in a notepad file, remove the current child theme, then upload the fresh child theme to test.

stewartmedia

Again, another novice question. Wouldn’t that mean all my typography/spacing setting etc would be lost?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Nope – all the customizer settings are saved in the database so you can actually remove/resintall GP theme and plugin and those settings would still be there.

stewartmedia

I copied the CSS, switched the theme to the parent theme, then deleted the child theme via FTP. When I then installed the fresh copy, the CSS I’d added previously was there in the customiser…

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry are we referring to the CSS in Additional CSS field in the customizer?

If so that is attached to the theme itself.

So did a fresh copy of the default child theme resolve the issue?

stewartmedia

Sorry – yes, I was referring to Additional CSS.

The fresh child theme didn’t resolve the issue.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m seeing this CSS on the site:

#comments {
        display: none !important;
    }

What happens if you remove it?

stewartmedia

Removing that doesn’t affect the reviews, unfortunately – it was added to hide a couple of pingbacks which were displaying on pages.

The “Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review” message shows, so I don’t think it’s due to me hiding something.

Absolutely baffled!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When I remove that CSS, the reviews display: https://www.screencast.com/t/NrPT0gmoF

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.