Black Friday Sale! Get up to $30 off GP Premium! Learn more ➝

[Support request] Widget Order in Admin New Page

Home Forums Support [Support request] Widget Order in Admin New Page

Home Forums Support Widget Order in Admin New Page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rob

Hey Tom,

When creating a new page, the sidebar widgets such as Use Sections, Sidebar Layouts etc push the Publish widget down to near the bottom which is causing some clients to email support saying they can’t find the publish button (I know, I know, but I gotta do something to resolve it)

Is there a way I can change the widget order or even fix the Publish widget to the top to stop the GeneratePress widgets pushing it down ?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You can drag and drop those metaboxes to order them, so just drag the publish metabox to the top (inside the account they’re using) and you should be good to go.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Rob

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I’m aware they can be dragged and dropped but I’m trying to avoid having to log into every client site to manually drag their publish widget to the top after also having to reply to their email asking where the button is.

It also doesn’t make sense to have the publish widget somewhere in the middle of all the GP widgets, its not a logical position in a layout.

There must be code in the GP widgets that’s controlling the widget order and pushing them to the top that I can edit ?

Thanks,
    Rob

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I agree – they shouldn’t be so high.

I’ve made the change in the next version of GP – you can grab that version here: https://github.com/tomusborne/GeneratePress

However, WordPress stores the metabox positioning in the user table in the database per user, so even me making this change won’t re-order them for your users.

I did some poking around and it seems like you can reset them in the database: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/38646/reset-positions-of-metaboxes-in-admin

Or you could use this plugin to reset them (it uses the same code as above) and then disable it: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/unsortable-meta-box/

Be sure to backup your database first.

Rob

Thanks Tom that’s much appreciated.

I was actually in the process of testing a script I use to reset the dashboard widget layout to do the same for the pages but that plugin looks ideal, I’ll try it out and update the results here.

In many respects I guess its really a WP core oversight. Publish should really be the one widget that should be fixed at the top always.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I agree, I tried to find code that would force it to the top but it doesn’t seem to exist.

However, using the new metaboxes.php file in github and then re-setting the positions with that code should do the trick.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.