[Support request] Which Inactive WordPress themes installed should be deleted?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Which Inactive WordPress themes installed should be deleted?

Home Forums Support Which Inactive WordPress themes installed should be deleted?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Fernando.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tania

I have Generate Press as an active theme and I have 2021 and 2022 as inactive themes. The site health suggests I should delete in active themes.

It says:
    “Your site has 3 installed themes, and they are all up to date.

Your site has 1 inactive theme, other than Twenty Twenty-Two, the default WordPress theme, and GeneratePress, your active theme. You should consider removing any unused themes to enhance your site’s security.”

Does this mean I should only delete 2021 theme as it is old and not needed? And I should not delete WordPress 2022 theme.

I don’t want to delete any theme, just in case I might lose any customisation.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Tania,

Your website does not use any file from any inactive theme. Deleting an inactive theme should have no effect on your current theme and in turn, your website.

Unless you plan to use them in the future, it would be fine to delete them both. You shouldn’t lose any customization in your current theme if you do delete inactive themes.

In essence, you can have just one theme installed, and that would just be totally fine. Customizations of themes are independent of one another.

Lastly, the customizations of a theme are saved in the database. Unless the theme deletes the customizations saved in the database upon deletion, the customizations should remain if you reinstall the theme again. I don’t think 2021 for instance deletes the customizations it has in the database.

Hope this clarifies. 🙂

Tania

Thank you very much for the clarification. I can delete inactive 2021 and 2022 themes now.

Fernando
    Customer Support

You’re welcome Tania! Glad to be of assistance! Feel free to reach out anytime you’ll need assistance with anything else. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.