[Resolved] Where did my theme get backed up to?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Where did my theme get backed up to?

Home Forums Support Where did my theme get backed up to?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi,

I’m liking the theme so far, I did a lot of customisation, then I saw the theme library. I thought it would just install another version of the theme leaving my customisation intact. I didn’t import demo content, and there was a message about backing up my options. Did that, decided I wanted to stick with my own customisations.

How do I restore the options that were backed up?

GP Premium 1.6.2
    Michael

Found it (main generatepress menu) maybe put that in the theme area as well. I thought when it backed up the options it did it to the database, I didn’t see it had downloaded anything.

Restored, but it looks like my main menu is messed up, it’s split it over four lines instead of the one that it was on? The background customisation had gone as well? (backgrounds module deactivated) I haven’t had a good look yet to see if anything else has been lost / altered. Not good.

Michael

Fixed that as well, wow that was a scary experience.

The primary menu was unchecked in the settings, I don’t know if it’s a bug that these things aren’t getting restored, or this is the design, but I’d recommend they all get restored. The main menu sizing was also not there, so had to re-do this as well.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Michael,

The GP backup only does Customizer options. We haven’t found a way to restore sites once the content step is completed (it’s very complex). That’s why we suggest that the Site Library is only used on brand new sites, so you can just clear everything if you want to start over.

Sorry for the experience! We’re working on making it smoother πŸ™‚

Michael

Hi,

No it wasn’t the content that didn’t get restored it was Customizer options (background, menu settings) deliberately didn’t import demo content.

To make it smoother, all theme options need to be backed up. I think WordPress does this by default when switching themes? Just so when/if you change your mind you can switch back and everything (customizer) is how it was.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The background options should have been backed up (the Background Image module specifically).

The menu options (Customize > Menus or Appearance > Menus) are content-specific options, which aren’t backed up currently.

We’re definitely working on a better backup/restore system πŸ™‚

Michael

The background module was actually disabled after the restore.

Good to know about the backup/restore tweaks πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah – that’s something we can fix! Thanks for the heads up πŸ™‚

Michael

Not a problem, this is how it should work πŸ™‚ You support us,we help you πŸ™‚ (if finding bugs is help of course)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.