[Support request] Whats the best way to add a second loop on a page in blog format?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Whats the best way to add a second loop on a page in blog format?

Home Forums Support Whats the best way to add a second loop on a page in blog format?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Samuel

I’m working on moving my site over to GP and my question is what is the best way to add a second loop on a page that displays in the blog format I have set. For example, on my existing site on a single page, after the post I display 6 related posts. For a page I list the 6 most recent posts at the bottom. I’m converting the site over from Genesis and it was fairly simple in Genesis because of a custom loop function. What’s the best way to in GP to set a custom query and then run the loop again with the proper html to display in the blog format I have set in the customizer?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You would have to write a custom page template to do that, or hook in a custom function with a new loop using one of the hooks: https://docs.generatepress.com/collection/hooks/

Alternatively, you can use a plugin like this: https://wpshowposts.com/

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Samuel

That makes sense. I wanted to make sure this functionality didn’t already exist before I looked at another way. I am looking at WP show posts and so far I love it.

I don’t know how difficult it would be to implement, but it would be nice to have a function in a future version you could call to produce the html listing blog posts. Something would allow for custom query args.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could likely just copy one of the existing loops, then alter the WP_Query args for your custom loop. Then all of the styling/HTML would be the same.

Glad you like the look of WPSP ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.