[Support request] What to do with updating Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support [Support request] What to do with updating Generate Press Theme

Home Forums Support What to do with updating Generate Press Theme

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jim.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William

Hi there,

I have worked with a developer that has made a bespoke home page on my site – when I upgrade the Generate Press theme, the homepage changes back to a default version.

I think I might need to make a child theme to save things – can you help me understand how to do this and what information I have to move over to achieve this?

Kind regards,

Will

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This is very difficult for us to advise on, unfortunately, as we’re not aware of the changes your developer made to the parent theme (never a good idea).

You’ll need to reach out to them to get info on what you need to do to transfer their changes to a child theme, unfortunately.

Jim

Before I knew anything about WordPress, my wife got a commercial website built by a big-city agency for big-city bucks. It never worked right, and we kept going back to them, but they eventually cut us off.

As I waded in to try to fix it, I learned that editing plugin and theme files is a big no-no. And I learned that’s how they did nearly all of the customization. On a steep learning curve, it took me about a year to get all the changes out of those files and into a child theme using templates, hooks, and filters, then to repair what still didn’t work right.

The business never worked out, but what a learning experience! You’re going to have to figure out whether the guy just edited theme files or also plugin files, and then transfer all those changes to a child theme templates, style.css, and functions.php.

One way to start might be the security plugin Wordfence. It will scan the core WordPress files, the theme files, and the plugin files, and compare them with the repository versions to see if there have been any changes.

I initially made a child theme using the plugin Child Theme Configurator, but it’s not that complicated if you google it.

If all this is Greek to you, you’ll probably have to climb the learning curve or hire a developer to fix it.

William

Thanks guys appreciated – what’s the best way to create a Generate Press child theme?

I think they just modified the home.php file in the repository.

Kind regards,

Will

Jim

I mentioned Child Theme Configurator. But it might be better to follow this advice:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.