[Resolved] what the heck is up with my header????

Home Forums Support [Resolved] what the heck is up with my header????

Home Forums Support what the heck is up with my header????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Danielle

So every few months I like to go my “test sites” and play around with customizing and designs, just for fun. Last time I did something so that the navigation menu was the header, there was no “traditional” header at all. Now I’m trying to undo that and I can’t. My theme and plugin is up to date, my cache is clear, I’ve closed out of and reloaded the browser, I disabled all plugins except Classic Editor and GPPremium and cleared the cache again and that didn’t help (and now my Bluehost plugin has disappeared and I have no idea how to get that reinstalled). I’ve made a huge mess of my site just trying to fix this one thing.

And yes, I’ve checked that the “Use Navigation As Header” box under Layout>Header is DEselected. Actually, what’s super confusing is that when I select it, a bar appears at the top of the page that acts like a header. It displays the site title and logo, though not the tagline. So that setting seems to be working backwards??? Idk, nothing is making sense anymore.

Either I really f***** something up by accident or there’s a super simple solution I’m too stupid to figure out. Please help. :'( :'(

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Not exactly sure if I understand.

Using the navigation as the header option does remove the tagline:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/navigation-as-a-header/

What is the desired layout you are trying to achieve?

I’m not seeing any obvious issues with the page you’ve linked.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Danielle

I know using the navigation as the header gets rid of the tagline. I’m not trying to use the navigation as the header. That setting is turned off. I’m trying to switch it back to a normal header, but it continues to act as if the “navigation as the header” option is still on. I’ve even deleted all my menus, yet the menu still appears upon refreshing, like its frozen in place. I’m not sure how else to describe the problem because I don’t know what the problem is. As far as I can tell, all my settings are the way I want them, and yet I’m still seeing a navigation menu rather than a normal header. And when I do select the “navigation as the header” box, a bar appears at the top of the page like a header. As if the “navigation as the header” option itself is malfunctioning. If I could show you I would. I’ll take a series of screenshots if you want.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m trying to understand what the actual issue is.

So the issue is that the normal header isn’t showing?

If so can you disable the navigation as a header option and clear and disable your caching plugin?

Danielle

That’s the gist of the problem, yes, a normal header isn’t showing.

The “navigation as the header” option is disabled. It was never enabled. I mean, I must have enabled it months ago when I originally played around with a header-less design, but it has been disabled for the last three hours I’ve been fighting this.

I double-checked that it was disabled and cleared my cache. No change. A menu still appears at the top of the page, even though I have deleted all my menus.

Danielle

I’m wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall either the GP theme or the GPPremium plugin? Or reset the settings? Maybe if I delete everything and start new as if I’d just installed the theme it’ll fix whatever bug there is in the code. I think this test site operates independently of the parent site, so I shouldn’t lose any content or anything.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m now seeing a coming soon page with the link you’ve provided.

Can you disable that so I can inspect the code?

Make sure to disable the caching plugin as well.

Don’t think we need to reinstall the theme just yet unless you remember modifying the core codes in some ways?

Thanks!

Danielle

Oops, sorry, I figured out how to get my Bluehost plugin back and that enabled the coming soon page. I’ve turned it off for you.

I don’t have a caching plugin, I’ve just been using the one built into the WordPress dashboard. In the settings it’s set to “Off (level 0)” so I assume that means it’s currently disabled.

No, I haven’t changed any of the core code. I wouldn’t know how. I barely know how to add CSS to customize color and font and stuff.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok if you wouldn’t mind just turning off Endurance Page Cache that’d be great.

Next, go to dashboard > appearance > elements, do you see a layout element in there by any chance?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-element-overview/#disable-element

Danielle

I can’t turn off Endurance Page Cache any more than it already is. It’s just listed on the general settings page with a dropped down that gives the options Off (Level 0), Assets Only (Level 1), Normal (Level 2), Advanced (Level 3), and Agressive, which is spelled wrong, (Level 4). It is and always has been set to Off (Level 0), so if you want it turned off more than that, you’re going to have to tell me how.

I don’t have an Elements option under Appearance. I have Dashboard>Appearance>Theme, Customize, Widgets, Menus, Edit CSS, GeneratePress, Theme Editor. Under GeneratePress, I have Elements deactivated. I think I tried to use them once a while back and found them very confusing and haven’t touched them since.

If it would be easier for you to just go in and look around, I would trust you with my login and password.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can send the dashboard access using Account Issue here:
    https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please include the following information:
    – The URL of this topic.
    – Login URL.
    – Username and password.

Danielle

The first time I wasn’t paying attention and accidentally sent the login information using the Pre-Sale form. Apologies!!! I sent it a second time using the Account Issues form.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’ve added this function in your child theme’s function.php file to remove the header:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/4jkGQgeSa

Always switch to the parent theme to test when running into issues like this πŸ™‚

Danielle

Huh. Not sure how that happened but I’m glad we figured it out! So if I delete those lines it should take care of the problem and give me a normal header again?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘what the heck is up with my header????’ is closed to new replies.