[Resolved] Weird layout error for blog posts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Weird layout error for blog posts

Home Forums Support Weird layout error for blog posts

• This topic has 6 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sue

I’m working on my first Generate Press site and it’s been a bit of a learning curve! I thought I was done with the site (which is a redesign of a site that someone else set up on a now-unsupported theme called WiseGuys) — I’ve made a few adjustments to the custom css to try to make it mobile friendly. But then I checked the blog and for some reason it’s putting the first comment in a left-hand sidebar. I had selected one sidebar (with the archives) for the post layout, no sidebars for the page layout. Here is a sample: http://interbridge.com/test/the-mail-i-get-grab-bag-edition/ What can I do to put the comments on the bottom, where they belong, without affecting my page/portfolio layout?

Also: is there any way I can make the header image (http://interbridge.com/test/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/bg-header3-2.jpg) NOT repeat on mobile? Right now if I view the site on my phone it repeats vertically. Can it be “stretched out” so that it fills the same amount of space, but doesn’t repeat vertically?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You’re using two floats, but they aren’t cleared.

We can clear the comments section like this, which should fix it:

.comments-area {
        clear: both;
    }
    Sue

Unfortunately, while that did move the comments, it still left a blank column on the left-hand side of the screen. I think the individual blog posts were copying the style of the book portfolio pages, and now for some reason the images have disappeared from all the book pages. For instance, http://interbridge.com/test/portfolio/the-pursuit/ used to have a cover image on the left-hand side and now it’s gone, even though I removed the .comments-area css. I realize I’ve made a bunch of modifications in an effort to duplicate the old wise-guys theme layout, so I don’t know if you can offer any help, but I’m feeling kind of at a loss here, so I appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Sue

Never mind – I figured out that I needed to have Featured Images enabled on posts to make the book cover show up on the Portfolio pages. Still trying to figure out how I can differentiate the layout of the Portfolio items and Posts!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Your portfolio items should have a class in the <body> element which you can use. That way you can apply CSS to those items only ๐Ÿ™‚

Sue

I finally figured that out — everything seems OK now, thank goodness! I look forward to becoming a GeneratePress expert!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it all sorted! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.