[Resolved] Videos Not Playing on Mobile Devices

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Videos Not Playing on Mobile Devices

Home Forums Support Videos Not Playing on Mobile Devices

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Linda

Hi Support,

The video on our home page (Selling Ain’t Rocket Science) works fine on desktop and laptop, but has stopped working on both iPhone or iPad.Not sure quite when this happened as we don’t check mobile every day (but I’ll start doing so now!). I do know it used to play just fine and I haven’t changed it.

Any ideas what wentwrong and how I can correct it?

Thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any chance you can disable all plugins except GP Premium to eliminate conflicts from other plugins first?

Let me know πŸ™‚

Linda

Hi Leo,

Okay,I deactivated them all (except GP Premium), reloaded page and tried with Google search and Firefox on phone. No difference on phone or tablet.

The cover image pops up really briefly, followed by a black screen with play icon and a line through it.

Weird, since it used to work just fine.

Have you some more tricks up your sleeve I can try? I hope! πŸ™‚

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m seeing the same thing as well.

I would guess that it’s bug within Gutenberg video blocks.

Can you test by switching to a twenty series theme and see if the same issue exists?

If so I’d recommend reporting this to WordPress’ support.

Linda

Hi again, Leo,

I’m coming back to you because I’m not getting any help from WP forums and am quite concerned our mobile site has this flaw. I’ve tried Google searches, too, but no one seems to have a solution.

I understand that the video issue isn’t a GP one, but was hoping you might have another suggestion of where I could find a not-too-technical fix for this.

If so, fantastic; if not, I understand.

Thanks for thinking about it,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry Linda I really don’t have an answer for you.

I found this post which might be a similar issue?
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/embedded-videos-from-media-library-do-not-work-on-mobile-phones/

If not you would need to try to bug WordPress some more unfortunately.

If you can duplicate the issue using a twenty series theme, they should really be able to help.

Another option is to upload your video to a service like YouTube or Vimeo and see if that works.

Linda

Thanks for trying, Leo. I hadn’t seen that particular post so will review its suggestions. Thanks for your other suggestions, too. I’ll work through them all and let you know results. And I’ll keep bugging WP until I get a fix.

Appreciate you trying to help and coming up with some additional ideas.

Back with results,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚

Linda

Hi again, Leo,

I just used a YouTube Gutenberg block and managed to get the video to play on mobile that way. Good news.

I’ve done something wrong in setting up the blocks because the text that is beside the video on desktop (correct) displays below the video on tablet (incorrect).

Despite my efforts, I can’t get the video to the right of the heading text. Would you have time to take a look at the home page and see if you can tell what I’ve done wrong so I can fix it?

If you can, that’s great. Also understand this might be “above and beyond” and I understand that, too.

Thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try this CSS:

@media (max-width: 768px) {
        .wp-block-embed.alignright {
            float: right;
        }
    }
    Linda

Thanks Leo. Will give it a try and let you know.

Still plugging away on video issue: so many people have the same issue and there is no response forthcoming from WP. Frustrating. For now, I’ll switch all my Gutenberg block videos to YouTube so at least the mobile site looks decent. And keep bugging WordPress.

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sounds good πŸ™‚

Linda

Hi Leo,

You’re reading a note from a very happy WordPress person! I’ve managed to get our videos to play perfectly by using Vimeo embed (YouTube worked, too, but I like the look of the Vimeo out-of-the-box version better) so thank you very much for that suggestion.

Next, I discovered that our staging site still had the original blocks for the video so I could replicate them on the live site and correct the alignment issue without having to insert code. Apparently, I’d used columns … duh!

Wanted to update you because you’ve been so helpful.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚

You as well!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.