[Resolved] Video thumbnail instead of picture in GeneratePress

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Video thumbnail instead of picture in GeneratePress

Home Forums Support Video thumbnail instead of picture in GeneratePress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Andrey

Hello,

How to make video thumbnails instead of images so that you can play the video without opening the post?

As in the screenshot: https://yadi.sk/i/s-54UeQN3MxUNr

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Andrey

Hi Leo,

Without plugins. Using the functions of GP Premium. Is there an integrated feature?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not currently, but that plugin works really great: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/featured-video-plus/

Andrey

Hi Tom,

Thank you! This plugin is really very easy to use and it’s what I needed.

https://xdkit.ru/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome 🙂

Salah

Hello TOM, The Featured Video Plus hasn’t been tested with the latest 3 major releases of WordPress. Is there any way to do that using GP Premium. If no, what is the alternative?
    Many thanks to you

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Unfortunately that plugin is still the best option available.

As far as we understand it should still work no problem.

Titiana

Hello, I was wondering if this has been implemented in GP yet and if so what the process is to make it work?

I too am trying to display a video in place of a featured image on an archive/blog page and I am a bit leary of adding a plugin that hasn’t been maintained in over 4 years.

I found this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugiT_MoWa5I) that said to choose the “video” post format which I did and I added the video link to the site using a paragraph block (which converted to a youtube block automatically) but it doesn’t work for GP – maybe it only works with divi?

Hopefull,
    Tanya

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The plugin mentioned above is still the best option we are aware of.

but it doesn’t work for GP – maybe it only works with divi?

Yes – the first comment in the video suggests so.

Samantha

Hi all,

Sorry to drag up an old post, but this is exactly what I am trying to do. I have used the Featured Video Plus plugin for a while. It still works great by the way.

Problem is, I am trying to set up an automation (via zapier or other automation tools) to post a “Video Format” post to my client’s Generate Press website. The Featured Video Plus field is not available to post to via automation.

I thought the way that “Video Format” post worked was that it would show the video as the featured image in the archive page, but looks like Generatepress does not support this. Clients other site uses Divi and this works like a charm with no plugin.

Is there any way to get the video showing as a featured video by posting the url embed directly into the content of the post (using the “video format” type of post)?

Thank you 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Problem is, I am trying to set up an automation (via zapier or other automation tools) to post a “Video Format” post to my client’s Generate Press website. The Featured Video Plus field is not available to post to via automation.

Any chance you can try this in a Twenty series WP theme environment and see if it’s the same there?

Let me know 🙂

Samantha

Thanks for your reply Leo. I tried it on a test site with Twenty Twenty-One theme and it doesn’t show the video thumbnail either…

I can’t use the Featured Video Plus plugin in this case because Zapier doesn’t have the FV+ Url field available in the automation. I think this is because it is a custom field and the Zap only allows normal post fields.

I installed Divi theme on the same test site, and posting via zapier works perfectly well with Divi (shows Video Thumbnail in archive, and also doesn’t show the featured image on the single page, just shows the video where the featured image would normally show, which is what I need).

My client has Divi on her other site, and it works. I recommended her new site was built with GeneratePress, but didn’t realise this limitation… oops.

I was hoping there might be a way to make the video show as a featured video on the archive for video format posts, and also in the single (video format) post. Maybe a php snippet, or something?

I’ve searched everywhere on the internet to try to fix this…

I appreciate any help you can give me on this. 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Unfortunately I don’t have any other ideas on this.

Maybe check with both Featured Video Plus plugin support to see if they can comment?

Samantha

Hi Leo – thanks again for getting back to me.

I have found a work-around for now, so I will share it here in case someone is searching like I was.

1. Although I didn’t want to use an excerpt, for my work around, I had to enable it. (in my search, I came across a post which mentioned using the excerpt to show certain information on the archive page, so I thought I would give it a try)

2. I followed the steps in this document to make sure the video displayed the full size of the featured area: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/responsive-videos/

3. Zapier and other linking automation apps do not seem to support any custom fields, just the normal post fields, so I had to post the video to the Content/Excerpt fields, they were the main options available for the actual video to be posted automatically. However, when I posted the link (assuming it would embed automatically), it just showed the text of the link and not the video. So I posted the embed code into the excerpt field in zapier and it shows up on the Archive.

Only problem I have is that I didn’t really want to show the excerpt for the written posts, but happy to live with that for now.

Hope that helps somebody.

Thanks again Leo. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.