[Resolved] Video Hero on mobile

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Video Hero on mobile

Home Forums Support Video Hero on mobile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    CorpCredible

We use a video for our hero image on corpcredible.com and on mobile we have it set to a static image until the video loads. Once the video loads it starts playing at the the 1920 aspect ratio for a second and then snaps to the correct size – the result is that it flashes black bars on the top and bottom and then plays. Is there a way to prevent this?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Tom,

Can you disable your cache plugin to test?

I think the flash is from the layout shift of your site header and the logo slider section, not the image or video section.

Let me know!

CorpCredible

I disabled it and it still is happening – there is a funny thing that happens on desktop with the header – where it gets big before it loads, but that isn’t really bothering everyone. It is really just the instant when it swaps over from static image to video on a phone only. I left the cache disabled if you want to check it out. Thank you for your quick reply.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ah, I see what you mean, it only shows on mobile devices.

It’s extremely hard to debug on a mobile device.

I checked the CSS, it looks all good.

Can you try adding this line:
    object-fit: cover;

to this CSS?

.background-video {
        position: absolute;
        top: 0;
        right: 0;
        bottom: 0;
        left: 0;
        opacity: .6;
    }
    CorpCredible

I went ahead and added that css and I can’t tell if it is working – do you still see it. It is as though it is taking a second for the video to adjust to the screensize and as it loads it is fitting it in a 16 x 9 aspect ration before snapping to the zoomed view.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Tom,

Are you still seeing it from your end? I’m finding it hard to notice it from my end.

CorpCredible

Hi Fernando – The glitch occurs on phones only, right when it switches from a static image to the video. It is as though it is processing the screen width and thinks it is 16×9 for a second and then it starts. I would like a smoother transition without the bars at the top and bottom for the video to begin playing. I uploaded a screenshot.

http://tomw126.sg-host.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/mobile-glitch.jpg

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Tom,

I can still see it on my phone.

Can you try this:

1. Remove the poster from the HTML: poster="/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/video-loop-placeholder-10.jpg".

2. Upload this image as the background image of the header element, choose center centeras the Background Position.

3. Remove the CSS for video[poster], and change the .background-video CSS to this:

.background-video {
        position: absolute;
        left:0;
        right:0;
        bottom:0;
        top:0;
        opacity: 1;
        height: 100%;
        object-fit: cover;
        width: 100%;
    }
    CorpCredible

Thank you for taking another look – I went in and followed the instructions and it seemed to cause there to be a black screen while the placeholder loads, then the photo shows up and then it takes a while and the video plays. Also the video is now the wrong size – it is zoomed in too far and the header size is too tall – it is just not resizing for mobile. I went ahead and moved this instance to another url so that I wouldn’t have a broken site live. http://tomw126.sg-host.com/

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you try the solution on your staging site so I can take a look?

So far I’m still seeing the same settings as the production site.

CorpCredible

The edits have been made to here http://tomw126.sg-host.com/ – You can tell because there is no text over the slider any longer.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you make sure cache is cleared as I’m still seeing the poster and the old CSS?
    https://www.screencast.com/t/gukNewIKPEG

CorpCredible

Thank you – i have flushed the cache.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m still seeing the same.

I would strongly recommend turning off any of the cache plugins on your staging site.

CorpCredible

OK – i finally got it to stick – it was due to insecure content. Let me know if you still can’t see it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.