[Support request] Very large site navigation

Home Forums Support Very large site navigation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robert

I am moving horseadvice.com to a Wp CMS using GeneratePress. Currently it is being built at horseadvice.rnoglesby.com. The site has over 100,000 pages of which about 700 need to be a nested drop down navigation menu in the sidebars. The default Wp/GP menu options appear to load the whole menu in the html then use css styles for display. This would appear to be a huge server load when each page accessed by the users needs to download this data. I cannot find a plugin that seems to use different techniques. Currently on horseadvice.com I have a jscript on each page that makes a call to a cached js sheet so that after the first download the menu’s server load is minimal (DHTNL Menu Builder). Is there such a plug in or has anyone tried proprietary menus software based on a similar idea?

GP Premium 1.3.1
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Robert,

I’m not even sure WordPress can handle that many menu items.

If you need to list that many items in a menu, you may need to integrate a custom solution into WordPress.

I’m afraid I don’t have any experience with this kind of thing, so I can’t really even point you in the right direction.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful!

Robert

Thanks Tom,
    It is helpful to know what might be the limits before I go down a path hard to recover from. Perhaps I should be asking a more general question. Assuming Bluehost will provide adequate storage and bandwith will Wp/Gp be able to handle peak requests of about 600 pages and 200 megabytes an hour?
    Robert

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If any theme can handle it, GP can. The theme takes up relatively nothing, so it’s more to do with your hosting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.