[Resolved] Using Demo Site on Current Site

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Using Demo Site on Current Site

Home Forums Support Using Demo Site on Current Site

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Linda

Hi Support,

I thought I’d submitted this yesterday, but can’t find it in the list so suspect something went wrong.

We have a live site and want to redesign it using the Catalyst demo site and our staging site.

4 Questions

Can I import the demo site into the staging site?
      If so, do I check or uncheck the “demo content” box?
      If the demo content is unchecked, what does get imported? The design and blocks?
      Can I edit block position, style and so on once the demo site is on our staging one?

Hope this isn’t a repeat and thanks for your help!

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can I import the demo site into the staging site?

Of course!

If so, do I check or uncheck the “demo content” box?
    If the demo content is unchecked, what does get imported? The design and blocks?

That is totally up to you. This article should explain it:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-site-library/

Can I edit block position, style and so on once the demo site is on our staging one?

Yes – the site-library templates are completely customizable.

Linda

Hi Leo,

Great. Thanks for all your answers and, especially, for replying so fast!

I don’t think I made it clear in my post that our staging site is an exact replica of our live site with all the same content, images, GP tweaks, etc.

When I re-read the article you linked to, here’s what I’m unsure about:

For best results, only install this demo content on fresh sites with no content. If you have already installed another GeneratePress Site, be sure to clean it up by deleting the content, plugins and menus that it added.

I’m kind of nervous (and unsure) about doing this. So …

1. Is there a way around it?
    2. Or do I need to create a whole new staging site on the server?

Hope you can set me straight on this!

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I would say that since you’ve already duplicated your existing site to a staging site, then you can actually play around with the importing process without any serious consequences.

Maybe start by importing without the demo content on the staging site and go from there?

Linda

I like your suggestion, Leo. That’s exactly what I’ll do … try without demo content and see what happens.

One last (kind of dumb) question: when omitting the demo content, is it just the text that doesn’t import? The design and block arrangement all come as they are on the demo site?

Thanks once more,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It would only import the customizer options.

Here is what it looks like on a clean install importing options without the demo content:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/wXxgf34a

I would say that importing content is your best bet – shouldn’t be too hard to remove them manually afterwards too.

I can list them out for you as well 🙂

Linda

Aha! Your screenshot was really helpful. I see what you mean: there’s really nothing there without the content. All the styling features that make it so attractive disappear.

So my new plan is to try it with content included. If I run into difficulties, I’ll post back for your help. And thanks for the offer to list them out. Will let you know if it’s needed.

From the article you linked to earlier, it sounds pretty simple to undo the import if it makes a real mess. At that point, there’s always the clean install option. I’ll keep that as a last resort! 🙂

Thanks for all your guidance on this, Leo. Much appreciated.

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.