[Resolved] Using a nav block as a sub menu — terrible idea?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Using a nav block as a sub menu — terrible idea?

Home Forums Support Using a nav block as a sub menu — terrible idea?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam

Hi 🙂

I’m working on a website using a child theme of GP (+ GP premimum) and GB plugin. Using categories (rather than having custom post types) to seperate the two kinds of posts on the site: Projects and Calendar.

I want each to have a secondary menu of its child categories. And have one main question:
    1. What is the best way to create the submenus?

Currently I have done this in a way which I’m ceratin is wrong :-/, but can’t work out how to improve it, I suspect there is a way with secondary navigation but I can’t work out how I’d distinguish between the two menus.

You’ll see on the link supplied that I’ve created a page hero element and added a nav block in… it doesn’t run quite right, reloading the whole page everytime (or being quite slow) and also I can’t work out how to style the current page state on the menus, but know how it would be possible with a secondary menu.

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Using a nav block as a sub menu — terrible idea?

Probably 🙂 The Nav Block us not particularly great.

it doesn’t run quite right, reloading the whole page everytime

Is this important ? As to update the page without reloading would require some kind of ajax to load the new content. And therefore a different search filter solution may be better suited.

Let me know.

Sam

Hi David,

A search filter solution sounds like what I’m after — I’ll have a look through the support documentation to see what I can find. Will post back here if I get stuck 🙂

And just one thing in regards to the nav block as I’m using it, other than it being a bit clunky is there anything hugely problematic with it in your opinion?

Cheers
    Sam

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The main issue we see with the Nav Block is, its NOT 100% dynamic. ie. if you create an Appearance > Menu, and then select that menu un the Nav Block, subsequent changes to that Menu won’t show in the Nav Block without you manually updating it. If thats not an issue then its probably a good solution.

Two well rated plugins for search and filters are:

Search and Filter
    FacetWP ( Premium only )

Sam

Thanks David, that’s really helpful info, really appreaciate it 🙂

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.