[Resolved] Understanding SSL certificates in GeneratePress

Home Forums Support Understanding SSL certificates in GeneratePress

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike

I am a bit confused on how SSLs work with websites. Over the last 15 years I have created many UCC/SANS SSLs through Godaddy to work with Exchange mail servers and mobile networking, which is quite a lengthy procedure in creating CSRs and much fiddling with IIS on mail servers.

I imagine a web SSL in a far simpler task but still I am left rather confused.

When I start a new project in Generatepress it starts as an HTTP, so I change it to HTTPS and get a padlock? I check the padlock and see it has been issued by Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Root Certificate and expires in a years time. My ISP who I thought may have issued it, tells me to contact the issuer. No point, I have used K.I.S. as my antivirus, but have never purchased anything else from them, and assume this is some sort of self issued internal certificate.

So I checked the URL from two other networks remotely and one saw it as I did with the Kaspersky certificate, which probably means I am ok for a year, so long as everyone is running Kaspersky. The other remote network sees it as issued by cPanel Inc, Certificate Authority and expiring in six weeks.

I have a new single domain SSL from Godaddy spare. Should this be ok and how do I install it in GP?

With SSLs are the cheap ones just as good as an expensive ones, or is there any benefit in buying a highend one?

Thanks,

Mike

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GeneratePress has nothing to do with the SSL Certificate.
    SSL gets applied to a domain name at the server level.
    Your host should have this as a built in option when managing your domain names.

Encryption wise there is no real difference between free and paid options. Free SSL are only domain level validation. Paid can offer organisation and extended coverage and can be seen as more trust worthy …..

Mike

OK, I use a company called Pickaweb for hosting and they are the worst out there. I will chase them again, but will probably move my 20+ domains.

Anyway, something you can help with. How do I pick and choose the social media links on the footer container in Services. How do I delete and how do I add back?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

How do I pick and choose the social media links on the footer container in Services. How do I delete and how do I add back?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you open a new topic for the new questions as it’s unrelated to the original SSL topic?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.