[Resolved] Trying to add a Facebook button on navigation bar

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Trying to add a Facebook button on navigation bar

Home Forums Support Trying to add a Facebook button on navigation bar

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pierre Robert

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to add a button linking to my Facebook page that I just created, and I’d like it to be on the navigation bar.

And secondly, is there any way that the posts can be uploaded to the Facebook account?

Thanks for your help,
    Pierre

Stacey Usborne
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Pierre,

To add your social icon to your navigation, this should help:
    https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/menu-social-icons/

To post to facebook, you can try this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/facebook-auto-publish/

I haven’t personally tried this plugin, but it might be what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

Pierre Robert

Hi, Stacey!

I did the first part, and it’s working fine. However, no success with Facebook. It seems that I have to create a developper account and create an app. I’m lost.

I’ll keep trying.

Thanks,
    Pierre

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Pierre,

Are you using the Jetpack plugin? I believe the “Publicize” module they offer can achieve this.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Pierre

Hi Tom

I tried to use it to connect to my Facebook page, but it asks me for a Twitter account number. Weird. I also need to go through WordPress.com. I also want the link to be to a secondary Facebook page, one devoted to “meditation”. I am new to Facebook (it’s about time!), so still learning.

Thanks again for your great support.

Pierre

Pierre

Hi Tom!

For now, I am just pasting a link to my post, directly on the Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/&gt;. It’s not perfect, but it seems to work.

Thanks again,
    Pierre

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You shouldn’t have to use WordPress.com, they just want you to connect to it (you can create a free account and forget about it).

However, if you search for “WordPress post to Facebook”, you should find more options, the above are only a couple πŸ™‚

Markus

Hi all,

unfortunately I am still not able to add e.g. a Twitter icon to the menu by adding

<i class=”fa fa-twitter”></i>

in the Navigation Label field. In fact, when entering HTML the whole (secondary) menu disappears.

Is there anything I am overlooking? Does this require an extra plugin?

Cheers,
    Markus

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that should work.

Make sure you’re not using curly quotes: <i class="fa fa-twitter"></i>

If that doesn’t work, try #1 on this page: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/debugging/

Markus

Thanks, Tom.

I had to go through the backend (Appearance > Menus etc.) to make it work.

I first tried to do it directly from the (lefhandside) swipe menu at “customize > menus etc.”.

Thanks again.
    Markus

Markus

One more thing that I did not find addressed in the “Knowledgebase Β» Menu Social Icons”.

How can I open icons in a new tab?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The menu area in the Customizer is still quite new in WP, I imagine there might be some bugs still.

To open in a new tab, go to “Appearance > Menus” and click “Screen Options” at the top right. Check the “Link Target” checkbox, then when you open your menu item, there should be an option to open in a new window.

Markus

Thanks, Tom! Worked beautifully.

No worries. Even with a bug or two the interface is simply amazing. Well done!

Cheers,
    Markus

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.