[Resolved] Too much width on mobile and missing "Read more" links

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Too much width on mobile and missing "Read more" links

Home Forums Support Too much width on mobile and missing "Read more" links

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tobias

Hello,

I’m experiencing some problems with my site.

First, there’s some space on the right side on Chrome mobile (Firefox works fine). You can also see it in Chrome via the inspector.

The problem only occurs on posts (archive and pages work fine).
        I tried overflow-x:hidden and with 100% and several other and it doesn’t seem to work.
        I deactivated all plugins and reset the theme & CSS but that didn’t help.

I’m not sure what causes the extra width – there seems to be no element which is too wide, so overflow-x:hidden is useless.

Second, the “Read more” links and the excerpt lenght don’t work. I have custom excerpts for my posts so maybe that’s the cause?

I hope you can help me. Thank you in advance.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I don’t see any space on the right side in Chrome on my iPhone 6s?

Here is what I see: https://s7.postimg.org/hfj2udn97/IMG_6804.png

If you are using the custom excerpt then it overwrites GP’s customizer setting.

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Tobias

Hi Leo, thanks for the fast answer.

The extra width occurs in posts only (it seems your screenshot shows the archive or homepage). I can still see it on Chrome Android and in the Chrome Inspector on Desktop.

Mobile View in Chrome Inspector

Regarding the 2nd problem: Is there a way to override the GP excerpt with a custom excerpt and keep all the functionality? I’m not experienced in WordPress, but I guess the answer is filters?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Using the custom excerpt metabox will bypass the excerpt length.

It also bypasses the read more links, but you can add them like this: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/custom-home-page-excerpt/#post-178361

Tobias

Thank you, Tom – that worked like a charm!

Any idea what causes the extra width on posts in mobile Chrome?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

There seems to be a duplicated comment form field below your main comment form input – it’s being hidden with some CSS, but that CSS is causing the horizontal scroll.

Likely a plugin you’re using?

Tobias

Hi Tom,

thank you so much for your well-crafted theme and the outstanding support here.

I use the plugin Antispam Bee for spam protection and it was responsible for the broken layout. Maybe this information helps someone with the same problem.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for sharing! I’m sure it will ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.