[Resolved] Too much code – crawl/index issues

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Too much code – crawl/index issues

Home Forums Support Too much code – crawl/index issues

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Ying.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hassan

Hi GP Support,

I’m getting an error that some of our URLs are known to Bing but has some issues which are preventing indexation. According to Bing it is because “Html size is too long – search engines may not fully acquire the content on a page if the page is contains a lot of code. Extraneous code can push the content down in the page source making it harder for a search engine crawler to get to. A soft limit of 125 KB is used for guidance to ensure all content & links are available in the page source to be cached by the crawler. This basically means if the page size is too big, a search engine may not be able to get all of the content or may end up not fully caching it.”

They suggest to ensure the page source does not contain large amounts of CSS or code at the top of the page and consider moving code and styles into separate files.

I don’t use many plugins but I wonder if it is because of my particular theme template or icons used in the page (see below). Can you please check and let me know?

Thank you,
    Hassan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can try minimising inline CSS etc.
    1. GP related, go to Customizer > General and set the Dynamic CSS Print Method to External File.

2. Remove some of the Global Styles and CSS Bloat that WordPress added – see here:

https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/36834#issuecomment-1069052915

Hassan

Thank you, David. Quick question, should I also “Regenerate CSS File” when I set the Dynamic CSS Print Method to External File? Also, what plugin do you recommend to add the code to remove some of the global styles and CSS bloat?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Quick question, should I also “Regenerate CSS File” when I set the Dynamic CSS Print Method to External File?

You don’t have to, but you can if you want.

You can use code snippet plugin to add PHP.

Hassan

Great, thank you.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.