[Resolved] Tabbed display of posts by category (2ndary menu workaround)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Tabbed display of posts by category (2ndary menu workaround)

Home Forums Support Tabbed display of posts by category (2ndary menu workaround)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NBC

I’m working on a site that includes a fairly large set of leadership profiles.

I’m using posts and categories to separate employees into groups by their location.

I originally intended to set up a tabbed structure for the page, with each tab loading a different post category, but I can’t find a plug-in that will do this.

For that matter, I had planned to use Elementor Pro for the site, but its tab structures can’t display posts by categories.

So as a not-what-I-wanted-but-what-else-can-I-do solution, I added a secondary menu just to the page on which the posts appear. Of course, to do that, I had to use a regular page, given that you can’t add a secondary menu to the posts page.

I don’t like the way it looks yet, because the menu is miles away from the left edge of the window, but I haven’t finished tinkering with sidebar settings yet. For that matter, none of the personnel head shots are there; just the bio text.

The biggest problem, however, is that none of the sets of profiles will load unless and until the visitor actually clicks on one of the “tabs” (menu levels). So what you get is a blank page with a nav system.

Any way to get the page to load _with the first set of profiles already visible?

(Please don’t share the URL with anyone; it’s entirely private at this point.)

WP 5.4.2
    GP 2.4.2 (with a child theme)
    GPP 1.10.0

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

effectively that would make the Viewpoints menu item take you to the /personnel/founders page ?

If thats correct then you could just make the Viewpoints item a Custom menu item and point it to the /personnel/founders url.

NBC

Hi, David:

Well, duh. Talk about me trying to overengineer the solution. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Can I hide the categories somehow, so they only show up in the secondary menu?

I must admit that I really do wish I could have a neat little horizontal set of clickable tabs, but sheesh! That plug-in does not seem to exist, at least not one that’s free (or reasonable). And I’m not up for re-entering the text of 63 bios to create custom posts for one of those plug-ins.

NBC

And actually, there is one thing that’s not working with the custom menu item.

The page title comes up as “Founders,” not “Viewpoints.”

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmmm… theres a few things to think through. Have to also consider mobile …

For the tab effect – why not keep the Secondary Navigation below the primary nav ?
    You can use the Layout Element to exclude it from the other pages:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-element-overview/

Then all we have to contend with is what happens when the user clicks on Viewpoint…

NBC

That’s a great thought, David. Let me tinker around and see what I can come up with.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK – keep us posted ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.