[Support request] Suggestion: dark mode

Home Forums Support [Support request] Suggestion: dark mode

Home Forums Support Suggestion: dark mode

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    tobymiguel

It would be really cool if there was a feature to enable “dark mode”. I use this feature myself a lot on other websites, so I would really like to offer this feature to visitors.

It could be a premium feature and could work this way: if enabled on the site people would have the option to choose dark mode (and a cookie or something would remember their choice), the dark mode stylesheet would then be used instead of normal stylesheet, maybe a option so people can also set a child-theme dark mode stylesheet.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Thanks for your suggestion!

However that definitely sounds like something more suitable for a plugin though as I’d think the majority of people won’t be needing it πŸ™‚

Mr McMarry

I think Generate press should work on dark mode because side like mine needs that dark mode for night because i have light color scheme in my site please make one thank you

i want that dark mode button left to header navigation search bar.

tobymiguel

I had almost forgot I made this suggestion. πŸ™‚

I don’t think it suits a plugin, because it is interacting with the theme stylesheet. We already have the GeneratePress plugin, and it could be enabled from there. It is essentially just a new stylesheet with inverted colors – or an automatic generated stylesheet which inverts the colors of the current style sheet. πŸ™‚

Mr McMarry

Its simple just we want that code and we will change the css for all stylesheets like

Default Body color is black

body {background-color: #000;}

i will change it to body {background-color: #fff;} in night mode css sheet

i just want the full proper code which works perfectly when i edit css of night mode in my site there is one check it out but i dont like that it dont store the user choice in cookie and dont dark things perfectly and the i dont like that color scheme to.

i know generatepress team can do it in 5min //** Sorry for this Comment πŸ˜› πŸ™‚

Sebastian

You can do that in 5 minutes too by using the color options of GP Premium. πŸ˜‰

Mr McMarry

Hahha but i want the Dark mode. It would be Awesome πŸ˜› πŸ™‚

Sebastian

Please no stuff that bloats up GP (unnecessarily). πŸ˜‰

Mr McMarry

i am not saying to add Dark Mode direct to GP Update i am saying to just give us code so we will paste in our child theme not everyone will have it who wants it copy and paste done ? πŸ™‚

tobymiguel

I heavily agree with not bloating the theme with unnecessary features! That is also why I think it should maybe be implemented in the GeneratePress premium plugin. If you have to add the dark mode yourself, you are not able to remove the original CSS stylesheet. An integrated solution will be able to remove unnecessary CSS and only include what is needed for the inverted colors.

However, I don’t believe this is something that can be done in 5 min. πŸ™‚

I think the developers are doing a great job and this was just a suggestion I hoped to see in the future. Most of the big websites I visit has this features now and I use it a lot myself.

Mr McMarry

Can the Plugin be a solution? for this as Leo Said above ?

Ryan

I really like the dark mode idea or better yet scheme modes/variations option.

tobymiguel

I would just like to take this up again. I just read that iOS is going to have a Dark Mode in the newest version of iOS coming soon. More and more people opt-in to Dark Mode whenever available to reduce eye strain and negative effects of blue light. However, making the whole theme Dark might scare some users away. I really think this is a feature that could set the GeneratePress Premium plugin and theme apart.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Would be cool. I’ll do some digging on how we would do this in a simple, lightweight way.

Matthew

I’m looking to do this as well with an upcoming site. Partly for sh*ts and giggles, but mostly because I can’t stand looking at white websites in the evening anymore.

The hard part is most certainly getting page builders such as Elementor to play nicely, as it likes to override things so you have site-wide default colors baked into your page builder and don’t have to futz around with custom CSS as much.

I’ll post back here if I figure anything out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.