[Resolved] Sudden change when I update

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Sudden change when I update

Home Forums Support Sudden change when I update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    CRISTO

Ok, when I updated my site, it suddenly comes out all wrong. On the editor it looks fine, nicely spaced etc, but the published version is all messed up.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You have tons of inline styles in your content: http://www.screencast.com/t/ITcKCNJzP

When pasting content into the editor, make sure to paste it into the “Text” editor, and then flip over to Visual to format your text using WordPress.

That will result in much cleaner code 🙂

CRISTO

OK, Thanks Tom. Just to be sure, then…I copy it from my old site (not the code, just the visual) then copy it in to the text editor on GP. Is that what you are saying?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea, when you’re adding your content into the WordPress editor, there’s a “Visual” and “Text” tab at the top right.

You want to paste your content into the “Text” tab so it strips all of that inline CSS.

CRISTO

Actually I guess I got that backwards. I just copied it into the visual editor and that worked, but if I did the text editor it comes out wrong. So still not sure where I am going wrong.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I can’t see the previews, only you can (which is good, you don’t want people in your Dashboard).

When you paste into the Text editor, you need to re-format your text by adding spaces between paragraphs, links, bold words etc..

Pasting into Visual looks nice at first, but it brings everything from the previous site over to the new site, which is not what you want.

CRISTO

I did it three times….copied into the text tab, then switched to visual….looked fine, and then when I preview it is all messed up.

Here is how the published page looks.

CRISTO

Just saw your note about the preview…will bear that in mind.

CRISTO

So what you are saying is I actually need to do a bit of coding..adding spaces, bolding, etc. That’s what I was afraid of. My purpose in buying GP was so that I did not have to do any coding. Not your fault, but I did not realize that would be a problem. I assumed just copying the content without the code would work.

CRISTO

On thought…is there any work-around? Maybe copy my site to MS Word and then copy that into my site?

CRISTO

Your’s probably tempted to just give me my money back and send me on my way. Anyway, I tried just typing original content into a page and then publishing it. But even that does not work…I should have four separate lines of type on this published test page and don’t. So not sure what is going on.

That loud sound you hear may be me hitting the ground after I jump out the window!

CRISTO

Also, so of the pages I copied earlier this week are just fine, such as this page. Not sure if that tells anyone anything.

btw, I did not jump….I don’t give up that easily.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can paste your content into Visual, you’re just going to have very messy HTML and your inline CSS will overwrite some options you try to add in the Customizer.

Paragraphs are paragraphs though and are dealt with by WordPress itself. Can you show me a screenshot of your editor?

If you go into the Text editor, are there empty lines between your paragraphs?

CRISTO

I definitely do not want messy code..that is why I chose GP. My previous code is a disaster, I realize that. I am not very experience with screenshots. I can send as an attachment on email…don’t know how to do it here….guess I had better learn. Anyway I just sent it to your email.

CRISTO

To answer your question….yes, there are empty spaces between the lines..there is only one paragraph, I just spaced between each of the four lines to see what would happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.